Shopping for my first 12 string, need advice please!

The Unknown

• Members

Hi!

I'm looking around for an inexpensive 12 string, so, of course, I've thought of looking into the used market first. 

I've spotted a couple and I thought I'd get advice from more experienced people, you! 

One is a 1990's Ovation CS-165, bridge is perfect (not lifted), looks real clean 

The other is another 1990's Washburn Festival with a cutaway (kinda pointy) and oval soundhole

My questions how much should I pay for those used and should I look them over or not? Also, what models should I look into in the new market, for under 500$ (with preamp)?

Thanks!

• Members

Buying a 12er can be even more critical than buying a 6er, depending what you want to play on it.

If you want to play with a pick, strumming and single line runs - not a problem, this is what MOST 'factory' made 12 string guitars are made for.

If on the other hand you (like me) want to fingerpick, you need a guitar with enough string spacing at the bridge to get your fingers 'in there' - these are few on the groung but take my word for it, if you fingerpick and cant, its a wasted purches.

Do your home work

good luck

• Members

The Unknown wrote:

Hi!

I'm looking around for an inexpensive 12 string, so, of course, I've thought of looking into the used market first. 

I've spotted a couple and I thought I'd get advice from more experienced people, you! 

One is a 1990's Ovation CS-165, bridge is perfect (not lifted), looks real clean 

The other is another 1990's Washburn Festival with a cutaway (kinda pointy) and oval soundhole

My questions how much should I pay for those used and should I look them over or not? Also, what models should I look into in the new market, for under 500$ (with preamp)?

Thanks!

Inexpensive 12-strings tend to be disposable 12-strings...most eventually pull themselves apart, warp, etc!

Of those two you mentioned, I believe the Ovation CS-165 would be the better choice, but if you find that you like playing doubled strings, start saving for a Guild, a Larrivee or a Taylor, and figure on spending at least $1K...they're the only brands that make 12-strings that consistently last.

Some individual Gibsons, some individual Martins, some other brands can hold up, but many of their same models do not...luck of the draw.

• Members

The Unknown wrote:

I came across a used Ovation Legend LX 12-string for only a bit more than your $500... but it's pretty good.

-D44

• Members

The Ovations are out there, and mostly a decent guitar,

I know a lady with an old Guild that is built like a tank, and sounds wonderful.

I've been running into Alvarez-Yairi mini jumbo 12's lately. They seem to be in good condition, playable, with no immediately visible issues, in the $600 - $750 range.

The new Seagulls are similar in size and shape. And they play nicely.

Only time will tell if they hold up. We don't see many in my neck of the woods..

Archived