Any idea how to repair small scratches?

The Unknown

• Members

The top of my classical guitar has some scratches. It's a satin finish, and the scratches aren't all that deep (fingernails while strumming I think, not my fingernails though) and are more or less visible depending on what angle your looking at them. 

Anyways, I was wondering if there's a way I could repair those scratches without refinishing the guitar, or at least attenuate them. Anybody has experience with this?

• Members

Do you know what the finish is?    If its a guitar built in the traditional fashion, probably French Polish altho it might be nitrocellulose lacquer.  If its a modern guitar, particularly PacRim, it is probably a polyurethaine finish.    Each can be touched up either by doing some more French Polishing or "drop filling' with the appropriate material.    However scratches and wear is part of playing a guitar and sometimes its better to just leave it alone.   And you almost never want to refinish a guitar for a variety of reasons.

Tell us what it is and if you know the finish.  If not I can help you figure out what the finish might be, we can go from there.

Archived