pickups in PRS for higher gain without sacrificing..

xdougleonardx

• Members

I would think Paf pro in the bridge. I used a tone zone in a PRS 24 standard and well it didnt work too well cuz the guitar has tone by itself. I would lean towards a more transparent PUP. I eventually sold that guitar because the combo didnt work very well in high gain. The PRS tone was strong and so was the tone zone, it kind of sounded like when eating a good burrito that is a tad too spicy. If I had a PRS now I would first try the paf pro. I have a les paul with a paf pro in the bridge and I love that it does there but the pup is fairly transparent.

• Members

Originally posted by fusionid

I would think Paf pro in the bridge. I used a tone zone in a PRS 24 standard and well it didnt work too well cuz the guitar has tone by itself. I would lean towards a more transparent PUP. I eventually sold that guitar because the combo didnt work very well in high gain. The PRS tone was strong and so was the tone zone, it kind of sounded like when eating a good burrito that is a tad too spicy. If I had a PRS now I would first try the paf pro. I have a les paul with a paf pro in the bridge and I love that it does there but the pup is fairly transparent.

Thankyou, that makes a ton of sense to me actually. Transparency would be one of the things to look for considering i want to keep the prs tone.

ANOTHER QUESTION!!!

Could i put the metal PRS pickup covers over a replacement without affecting the sound toooo much?

• Members

Fusion...you may want to check that the PRS covers will fit over the aftermarket pickups you are considering. I ran into this while talking to my local PRS dealer about the same thing...I wanted to put different pickups in my PRS but utilize the existing covers. I took his word for it, but he told me that the PRS covers will only fit original PRS pickups as they are slightly odd in dimension, and that the pickups were permanently attached to the PRS covers anyway...someone else correct me please if this is incorrect, but this is what I was told so I did not proceed down that path....

Archived