Repaint question...Shovelhead?

johndempsey

• Members

Is it Shovelhead that's the refinishing expert?

Anyway, I want to refinish an old Ibanez Roadstar (strat style), basically i was researching PPG and House of Kolor paints and wondering how much paint it takes for a professional refinish. It seems like a gallon would be way too much, but I really have no idea.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

• Members

Yeah, go to reranch, the'll have all the stuff you'll need in convienent spray paint form.

However, if you want a color that reranch doesn't carry, I'd say you're up shiat creek if you don't have a spray gun. You're not going to want to brush that stuff on. It is going to look like crap if you do.

If you do have a spray gun, I'd say no more than a pint. Actually, that could probably do a number of guitars. I'd say a quarter pint (one cup) would be plenty for one guitar. Come to think of it, I've refinished a guitar with an $80 airbrush kit from a craft store, that may help you.

Here's the process for how I refinish:

Strip > Sand > Seal > Sand > Prime > Sand > Paint > Sand > Paint > Sand > Clear Coat > Sand with 00000 steel wool > Clear Coat > Sand with 00000 steel wool > Clear Coat > Sand with 00000 steel wool > Sand with 400 wet/dry paper > Sand with 800 wet/dry > Sand with 1600 wet/dry > Buff with white buffing compound > New buffing wheel, buff with red buffing compound > Wipe down with cheesecloth > cover guitar with stickers.

• Members

Originally posted by jrkirkish

Here's the process for how I refinish:

Strip > Sand > Seal > Sand > Prime > Sand > Paint > Sand > Paint > Sand > Clear Coat > Sand with 00000 steel wool > Clear Coat > Sand with 00000 steel wool > Clear Coat > Sand with 00000 steel wool > Sand with 400 wet/dry paper > Sand with 800 wet/dry > Sand with 1600 wet/dry > Buff with white buffing compound > New buffing wheel, buff with red buffing compound > Wipe down with cheesecloth > cover guitar with stickers.

don't forget to sand;)

• Members

Originally posted by Shovelhead

A pint is more than enough for the color coats. For clear, a pint is also plenty because after you mix you'll actually have more than a pint of sprayable material.

Shovelhead,

Where are you purchasing your bulk nitro lacquer from? Like the old Dupont Fender colors and the like (Lake Placid Blue, Daphne Blue, etc.). Most automotive supply stores I've checked with don't carry the nitro anymore.

Archived