Anyone played a Rory Gallagher Strat?

jerry_picker

• 4 months later...
  • Members

I did! Coz I bought one two weeks ago ;) .What can I say - even without the relicing, it deserves it's price tag, because it is the best strat I've ever played (and I've played a lot in 30 years of play). The neck is uber comfortable too, and this feeling of playing a well worned guitar, a bit like an old pair of shoes ...

• Members

Originally posted by Jimi Ray Halen

I tried to but the guys at the music store wouldn't let me get drunk and drag it across the showroom floor by its cable.
:D

You mean like SRV at the El Mocambo ;) ? Weirdly enough, Rory Gallagher wasn't brutal at all with his beloved strat - but he used it every day during 33 years, and also had a very acidic sweat, acting a bit like therebentin (sp?) or any paint solver.

• Members

Doc Loco:

You mean like SRV at the El Mocambo ? Weirdly enough, Rory Gallagher wasn't brutal at all with his beloved strat - but he used it every day during 33 years, and also had a very acidic sweat, acting a bit like therebentin (sp?) or any paint solver.

I saw film footage of Rory - who I really like - and he was dragging the strat across the stage by its cable, guitar screaming with feedback the whole time. And he was drunk. Played like a mofo tho.

When I saw Stevie he was drunk and he didn't abuse his guitar. Go figure. He played like a mofo too.

• Members

Originally posted by silent-strat

I'm thinking Nash guitars could do a much better job for less cash.

That's what I thought at first too. I know two guys with Nash guitars, those are good instruments with a good relicing, but not amazing though. I get in contact with him about it, and the price he asked me for building me a Rory Gallagher strat replica is actually the same I payed for my Fender one! And franckly, you can't compare the relicing work of the Fender custom shop with Nash's one, it's way better. The only thing that sucks with Fender relicing work, it's their pictures! Look at mine:

fenderrorygallagher129pa.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by batotman

My guitar with the most mojo is my 95 Squier Strat. Its dinged up and I don't baby it by any means but that kind of cash for a banged up guitar (though its purposefully) seems nuts!

Payed it 2200 euros brand new - the price of a vey good custom shp strat - consider the relicing as a bonus ;) . Oh, and my guitar with most mojo is my '61 Les Paul SG junior - it hasn't been babied, still you can't treat a (rather fragile) Gibson like a (rock solid) strat :cool: .

gibsonsgjr61127uy.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by Jimi Ray Halen

Probably went to his wife or immediate family.

I'd'a gladly taken it.
:)

Went to his brother Donal in fact (he was his tour manager too and proly the one who was the closest to him). It's sometimes exposed in shows and memorials. Btw, he left us ten years ago :( .

• Members

Originally posted by batotman

They don't relic the frets or hardware (as far as functionality) do they?

Frets are well-dressed but spankin' new.

Hardware...hmmm. The functional part of hardware works as new. However, the exposed parts are cosmetically reliced, usually with light oxidation to look "worn in". I've heard tales of the Custom Shop relicing department using an outdoor sandpit, exposed to the elements, where they bury knobs, whammy bars, screws, strap pins, etc. for months to get them "just right".

• Members

Originally posted by jerry_picker

Frets are well-dressed but spankin' new.

Hardware...hmmm. The functional part of hardware works as new. However, the exposed parts are cosmetically reliced, usually with light oxidation to look "worn in". I've heard tales of the Custom Shop relicing department using an outdoor sandpit, exposed to the elements, where they bury knobs, whammy bars, screws, strap pins, etc. for months to get them "just right".

Here's a close-up of mine - you can see the rust (on the saddles but on the screws too), the mismatched screws on the pu selector, the dirty controls ...

fenderrorygallagher052ol.jpg

Archived