Anyone play Steinbergers or have opinions about them?

clockwork_66

• Members

Anybody have experience(s) with Steinberger guitars? How do the pickups sound? Is the bridge really an innovation over the Floyd? I'm thinking of getting one --a total split from the LP/Strat comfort zone. I have heard some negative things about them in some reviews from various random sources... I'd like to hear what YOU think. Please pull no punches. thanx in advance.

• Members

I used to work at a guitar shop back in college in the late 80's/early 90's and we were a Steinberger dealer. All of us who worked there (and were guitarists) thought they were great. Even the bassists liked the Steinberger basses. A co-worker at the time actually had Steinberger custom build the kinda-Strat-y guitar for him, which was excellent but not much better than the standard production models.

They sounded great, played great, and the Trans-Trem was excellent. I seem to recall that they mostly had EMG's in them, though I dunno if they still do. Also, my old roadie used to work at Steinberger and always said they did a good job.

BUT -- Ned Steinberger hasn't had anything to do with them for some time, I think -- I'm pretty sure Gibson has owned them for some time now. Go play one and decide for yourself if it's right for you.

• Members

I have one of the "M" guitars, with the wood body & plastic necks. It is probably the one guitar that I would never get rid of. Mine is from the early 90's, and now needs some fret work done, but otherwise it is still good.

I would say that unless you are really wanting the Trans-Trem for innovative kind of playing, I would stick with the other trem (I think it is called the S-Trem, or R-Trem), simply because of the cost difference. The trans-trem is not the easiest thing in the world to set-up, and it requires calibrated strings. I keep mine "locked" (using it like a hard-tail) about 99% of the time.

The EMG's are nice pickups, if they are paired with the active tone circuits, like they are in the higher-end models.

I have preferred passive pickups in the one I have. The Duncan JB/Lil-59 combo is good. The pickups I currently have in mine, are kind-of a vintage-type pickups setup with a TV Jones "TV-Tron", and a Duncan Lipstick tube.

It is a very comfortable and easy guitar to play. I like the neck profile on it better than on almost any other guitar, (with the possible exception of the Fender reissue "C" shaped necks".

:mad:

• Members

The neck isnt plastic but it kinda looks like it is. Its graphite and ive read that its the same type of graphite used in helicopter blades the army uses, light but high strength.

I have an older GR4R from the 90s and the neck on it is solid graphite. It is one of the best necks ive ever used. The new ones are the moses type with a trussrod. I think wood and graphite mix? They have a rod though, the old ones dont and are bulletproof.

Ive never used any of the tremolos other then the cheaper R-trem but ive heard alot of people talk about how hard it is to setup the transtrem.

I have 3 spirits and i like em alot, they feel almost the same as the older one. I got them because the frets on my old one are getting bad and i wanted to spread the wear on a new one and i really like them.

wich model were you think of getting? the strat looking style or the broom stick style?

• Members

i have had one for a few years now, great knock around. took out the sterile sounding emg pickups and dropped a bill lawrence L-500 in the bridge and a gibson 88 in the neck. improved the sound 200 %. the neck is fine, but you wont get the action as low as a paul. nice solid feel for a guitar that looks like a chicklet, and weighs so little you forget you have it on

• Members

Originally posted by TheBigScaryBat

I would say that unless you are really wanting the Trans-Trem for innovative kind of playing, I would stick with the other trem (I think it is called the S-Trem, or R-Trem), simply because of the cost difference. The trans-trem is not the easiest thing in the world to set-up, and it requires calibrated strings. I keep mine "locked" (using it like a hard-tail) about 99% of the time.

It's been a long time since I worked on one and don't remember much about it. What did you mean by "calibrated strings"? I don't have any recollection of having to use a specific string (outside of the double ball ends, that is).

• Members

Originally posted by Psychotronic

It's been a long time since I worked on one and don't remember much about it. What did you mean by "calibrated strings"? I don't have any recollection of having to use a specific string (outside of the double ball ends, that is).

I believe the "calibrated" strings are produced to a more exacting tolerance than the usual double-ball-end strings.

What I should have said, I guess, is: You don't need to use calibrated strings with the trans-trem unless you want the trem to work for transposing tunings (which is why most would buy the trans-trem instead of the S or R trem). The trans-trem will not transpose tunings accurately without "calibrated" strings.

• Members

Originally posted by Pott

Quick question: Steinbergers can ONLY work in E standard can't they? No drop, alternative or step down tunings? What's the deal on the trem?

all the trems lock down so you can tune to whatever you want. the transtrem lets you tune to either G, F#(i think), E, D, C, and B standard in half-a-second's time. yes its amazing! but it takes some work to set it up and nobody really needs to drop down to C with 9 guage strings on ya know?

so I recomend the S trem to all the others. its simple, and very effective.

• Members

I have a '88 lefty GL3T( the boat oar) with the Trans Trem. It has 2 SA's, a 81 & a SPC control. You need to get VanHalen's Live without a Net DVD to see what can be done with it, its amazing. The neck has not truss rod & has never needed adjustment. Unfortunately, the "Real Steinbergers" are no longer made. Gibson hired Ned back & all he came up with is a 28" scale neck with a rolling capo. If you can try an old one, you'll be impressed.

• Members

Dude those new synapse guitars are badass, if you got the money. I think they are really nice guitars but im spending all my money on GU spirits :p

The broom stick ones are ok but ide rather have a shape. I had a GL in the 90s and i have a GT3 now its great to take on the go but when i can i take my full size. :D

Archived