best pickup for adusting intonation!

Alanfc

• Members

aye- this is weird can't find this bit of info here ! Or Google,

anyone!

which is the best pickup between my neck pickup, bridge, singel coil, humbucker, to use when doing my intonation?

And maybe why whichever one is better ?!

thanks !:eek:

(and the tone knob all the way off/Yes?)

• Members

Why would it make any difference? Why would the neck or bridge pup respond as if the strings pitch had changed a little when fretted? Makes no sense. Doesnt matter which pup you use. Hell, use both or your fave 2 pup settings if 3 pup guitar. Thats why you find no info on. Is a non issue dreamed up for the gullible as a lark imo.

Changing tone control setting as something that changes strings pitch? LOL. Even more absurd.

Lets see, changeing which pup and tone settings gonna slightly affect strings pitch. Egads, no way to ever keep guitar in tune. No wonder some prefer one pup, no tone control guitars. There the only ones that stay in tune! Falls over laughing.

• Members

There is a website some guy went in depth about how and why its better and i tried it and it seems to hold my tuner needle steady. Before i read the article i use the bridge and the tone all the way up and it use to bounce around now its more consistant.

He said somthing about the neck pickup being closer to the center where the string vibrates the best. When i tune the strings open i pluck at the 12th fret using the neck and then i pluck before the neck. It does help

Download that program "G-tune 2.50" and try it. You will be suprised.

• Members

Originally posted by Darkstorm

Why would it make any difference? Why would the neck or bridge pup respond as if the strings pitch had changed a little when fretted? Makes no sense. Doesnt matter which pup you use. Hell, use both or your fave 2 pup settings if 3 pup guitar. Thats why you find no info on. Is a non issue dreamed up for the gullible as a lark imo.

Changing tone control setting as something that changes strings pitch? LOL. Even more absurd.

Lets see, changeing which pup and tone settings gonna slightly affect strings pitch. Egads, no way to ever keep guitar in tune. No wonder some prefer one pup, no tone control guitars. There the only ones that stay in tune! Falls over laughing.

As far as I can tell, it's to do with the harmonics of the note, and basically getting rid of unwanted harmonics 'n' whatnot to make it easier for the tuner to grab hold of the note you want.

Personally it doesn't really affect me though, as I do all my intonation adjustments by ear. :)

• Members

The pickups and tone settings obviously do not have anything to do with the pitch(unless pups are too close which can cause magnetic pull on the strings and make things wacky). Using the neck pickup and/or rolling off the tone simply provides a more tuner friendly signal that makes the needle bounce less, and holds longer. I dont have the science to back it up, but once a luthier pal turned me on to it, I have always found it really works much better. I have set up many, MANY guitars this way. if its voodoo, its my kind of voodoo!

• Members

it doesn't effect pitch, as others have said, its about filtering the signal. The tone control in a guitar is a simple first order filter. when you turn the knob down, you're attenuating more of the higher frequency signal components, which will help the tuner lock onto the root and ignore many of the higher order harmonics.

• Members

when you guys say turn the tone knob down or full on or what ever. You turn it counterclockwise right?

Ive been using my neck pup, plucking at the 12th fret with my tone knob all the way "counterclockwise" or at 0 if the knob had a volume like 0-10

Is this right?

• Members

DeadNight Warrior is right. It's not the pitch but the harmonics this is meant to be helping with.

Tuners mistake the harmonics for the real fundamental note and so they jump around between octaves trying to lock onto the correct note.

Audiophiles call it THD, total harmonic distortion.

By selecting a pickup that receives fewer harmonics you can filter off some of the harmonic distortion and make it eaiser for your tuner to lock onto the fundamental pitch and do it's thing.

The neck pickup contains fewer harmonics than the bridge, so select that pickup. Also, turn the tone knob to it's dullest sounding position (0). With the tone all the way down the harmonics will be removed to a greater extent.

Try picking the string with a finger somewhere near the end of the fretboard, around fret 18 say. Picking with a pick over the bridge pickup will increase the THD due to the sharp snap off the string. Think about what happens when you slam a big metal door or gate really hard and it starts to shudder as it bounces back.

I have a floating Ibanez Edge tremolo. Setting the intonation up on them is a half hour plus excercise to get anywhere near close! :mad::D

• Members

Originally posted by eeka-chu

I have a floating Ibanez Edge tremolo. Setting the intonation up on them is a half hour plus excercise to get anywhere near close!
:mad::D

I've got two Lo Pro 7 equipped guitars to take care of. That's 14 strings of pure, unadulterated, Floyd-tastic intonating fun! :eek::o:(

:p

Archived