Agile, Nelsonic, Dillion..Would any of you....

johndempsey

• Members

(or any of the other "off" brand guitars that people rave about here.) ....purchase a US made guitar from them , say if one of these companies made a quality US made line of guitars that started around $600 and went up to $1200, or is the allure simply the cheap price, without regard to country of origin?

• Members

I wouldn't. Resale would likely be piss, and even if resale wasn't piss it would take them awhile to establish themself as a "name".

Ultimately cost vs. benefit is what I look for. Oddly enough I have 6 guitars, 4 of them are less than 2 months old. :D

• Members

Oddly? I haven't even been here that long and I know thats standard operating procedure with you. ;)

And no, I wouldn't buy an American made Agile 'cause the cost would likely be what other American made offerings are. The allure to me is that it's much much cheaper as is.

//S

• Members

I'd check them out. If they were good, their reputations would only grow and it'd make sense to snag one.

It's always a good idea to first check out how a guitar feels to you, regardless of brand. There is also something to be said for a company's reputation about QC, warranty, helpfulness, etc. If these both check out, who cares specifically what the brand is?

• Members

Originally posted by batotman

Epiphone Alleykat, beautiful, Classic 57 and a NY mini hum. Also included is the $100 Alleykat hardshell. $400 Shipped! Pic:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v179/batotman/IMG_1496.jpg

Can you cite in precise terms the reasons why that is not in your sig? And can you have it certified by congress and on my desk by yesterday, in triplicate? Go on, can you? Can you? Hmm? Puh-leez.

//S :p

• Members

Probably not since the $600 to $1200 US Dillion Agile etc. would be the same guitar as the $300 Korean Dillion Agile, just more $$$ because of it's country of origin (USA). The CNC machine does not care whether it is programmed in Korean or English, it still cuts the same. Since I am a hobby player, not a gigging player, buying guitars at the elevated USA price range does not make sense in my case.

• Members

Only way is if the hardware/tone woods/type of finish/craftsmanship were of better quality. But still, they would have to sell for under $1000 to be considered. Carvin has made a business out of doing just that. It would probably take some time to build up a rep to make it profitable. Look at all of the quality custom builders in the US. They are still having to command around $2000 and up for their axes.

• Members

I would, as long as there was an increase in overall quality of the craftsmanship and parts.

Anyway, the reason I ask is that I don't think many guitars are going to be made in Korea in 2 years, they're facing too much competition from China.

• Members

Originally posted by Axeslinger

Rondo is the Behringer of the guitar world, so I don't see that happenin;)

They could take their specs to some Japanese factories and get an 'elitist' style model going.

That could be interesting if the price was right.

• Members

Originally posted by Shocker

And no, I wouldn't buy an American made Agile 'cause the cost would likely be what other American made offerings are. The allure to me is that it's much much cheaper as is.

//S

Carvin is able to pull off selling USA made quality guitars in the $600 to $1200 range.

I'm actually surprised there hasn't been more USA factory direct guitar companies popping up on the web.

I know there are a lot of small luthiers.

But, I'm talking USA production guitars.

Kent

• Members

to be honest a american made agile or something would in all likelyhood be something like the gretsch"les paul copies" or the guild ones et al. few people bought them as they were not the real thing, and although great guitars not priced low enough to sway anyone. I don`t care where a guitar is made- although most of my collection is obviously american. But what I see at the various price points is a bunch of great guitars. I am not real fond of the agiles and korean guitars only because I have no need for them- wheras a high end japanese tokai is another matter. You need to remember a lot of japanese companies came over here when fender went to japan- i think esp, robin, and several others did- and it didn`t help or hurt their cred any.

Archived