"Sitar" sounding B-string. Any ideas?

headless

• Members

I've got a 251/2" scale (self built) built Thinline Tele, with two humbuckers.

The bridge is a Wilkinson VS100 (which is blocked) and it's resonable new.

The B-string has a "sitar" sound at all frets and also played open.

I've tried changing the strings, adjusting intonation, truss-rod relief, string height, and pickup height-no improvement.

Any ideas to cure this?

Thanks in advance.

• Members

Originally posted by mc5nrg

The b bridge saddle isn't cut correctly.

These Wilkison bridge saddles appear to be machined or cast of of steel. Each of the other saddles seem identical to the eye, and they all seem smooth and well shaped.

I'd hate to take a file to the saddle (although I do have the correct files), and screw it up worse than it is.

• Members

i had a very weird story, very similar.

I bought a strat. works great, pretty nut, fixed frets and everything. saddles in good condition, still shiny and its an 80s strat.

one problem. the 4th string (bass string) was dull. i couldnt figure out why. brand new strings and itd be noticeably duller than the other strings.

its not the nut, i can fret strings, same thing. It had to be the saddles, but i cant see anything, theyre all exactly the same.

So i just decide to experiment and swap saddles with the one next to it, i swap 4 and 5. problem solved. everything is clear and rings like its supposed to. the saddle i switched works fine in the other spot now.

I dont understand what happened, but it worked. i had never ever seen that before. it was clear something was absorbing energy. I changed strings several times before this, and it was the same dull 4th string everytime.

• Members

Originally posted by headless

I've got a 251/2" scale (self built) built Thinline Tele, with two humbuckers.

The bridge is a Wilkinson VS100 (which is blocked) and it's resonable new.

The B-string has a "sitar" sound at all frets and also played open.

I've tried changing the strings, adjusting intonation, truss-rod relief, string height, and pickup height-no improvement.

Any ideas to cure this?

Thanks in advance.

In my case I had the same thing it was the nut. Definitely take a look at your nut......No, zip up your pants, the nut on your guitar!

Seriously if it happens only on open string and is gone if you fret the strnig, it is likely the nut. If it remains when fretted its not.

• Members

Originally posted by Shaolin_sword36

1st fret too high

Or the nut.

But he stated that this ocuurs on all of the frets.

Any problem on the nut or first fret should be negated when you play in the higher positions.:confused:

My guess is that there is not enough down bearing tension from the saddle to where the string attaches to the bridge.:)

Or you could try to get the remaining five strings to do it, as well!:D

Archived