Recommend me some good pickups for my SG

Crappymonkey

• Members

I'm thinking of changing the pickups in my '61 Ri SG from the classic 57's to something new. I Play alot of hard rock type stuff (not too heavy ). Bands like The Hellacopters, Nebula, Atomic Bitchwax ... Good loud hard rock stuff.

The '57's are a bit too muddy when used with gain. I want something crisp, full and snarling. Can anybody suggest a good neck and bridge combo or company to look at?

I've been looking at the Guitarfetish stuff on Ebay and they look awesome (especially the pearl p90's that fit HB positions ) but I have no idea what they sound like.

• Members

P-90's pretty much sound like this:

Gibson Custom Shop Samples (hopefully it works with your browser)

LP 56 Goldtop

1958 Junior DC

1960 Special SC

SG Special

Higher Gain settings (Overdrive)

Non Reverse Firebird

They're loud, clear, and can cut through anything, but they're not super-mega-distortion pups. If you want that, then try this

Zakk Wylde/EMG 81/85 Combo

Zakk Wylde Camo/EMG 81/85

• Members

Originally posted by Kable

P-90's pretty much sound like this:

Gibson Custom Shop Samples (hopefully it works with your browser)

Higher Gain settings (Overdrive)

They're loud, clear, and can cut through anything, but they're not super-mega-distortion pups. If you want that, then try this

Thanks for the links man. I've never checked out the Gibson Custom page before.

I know what p90's sound like, I just have no idea what those GuitarFetish ones sound like (if they're any good or if they're crap). I can't find any sound clips for them online.

I've decided to stay away from EMG's. I dont like they way they sound.... just not organic/natural enough. I don't really know how to put it.

• Members

Originally posted by Crappymonkey

Thanks for the links man. I've never checked out the Gibson Custom page before.

I know what p90's sound like, I just have no idea what those GuitarFetish ones sound like (if they're any good or if they're crap). I can't find any sound clips for them online.

Well, I can't speak for the GuitarFetish models, but I have humbucker sized P-90's in my SG (Gibson P-94), and they're close enough to the P-90 sound. A little hotter and fatter maybe, but still much more clear, punchy and cutting than humbuckers. They sound like P-90's with just a little more juice. I've also played an SG with SD PhatCats, and it wasn't much different.

I'm more of a Fender guy, but having these equipped on my SG has made me appreciate it a lot more. Before it was barely getting any playing time. I know exactly what you mean by the 57's, and for anyone who has "that" particular problem with 57's and the like, these are a perfect replacement.

• Members

I'm kind of surprised those '57 classics don't do it for you. That would be my Gibson pickup of choice if I was going to use any Gibson pickup. They seemed to do fine for Angus Young for all those years he used them.

That said, the Kent Armstrong HB size P-90's I put in my Artcore definately took all the mud away that existed with the stock pickups. They have great clarity and string definition and tone to the bone!

redhotmama3.jpg

• Members
Originally posted by vintage clubber

I'm kind of surprised those '57 classics don't do it for you. That would be my Gibson pickup of choice if I was going to use any Gibson pickup. They seemed to do fine for Angus Young for all those years he used them.

I guess it's my affinity for Fender sounds and single coils (and Townsend, as opposed to Angus) that leads me more in that direction. Just for myself, I've never been a big fan of humbuckers, warm tone, "milky smooth sustain", etc..

Then again, Angus has a lot of bite to his sound as well...I don't know how he does it. He's "Angus", and I'm not, I guess :D

• Members

I actually find the 57 Classic in the neck of my SG to be quite bright. I'm starting to like it more, but I didn't like it at first.

I think going to the GFS pickups would be a huge downgrade. I'm sure they sound pretty good for what they're worth, but that's about it. If you were to go the P-90ish route, I'd go with either the Gibson P-94's, Seymour Duncan Phat Cats, or Rio Grande Fat Bastards.

If you're on a budget for some reason, the Kent Armstrongs should serve you well. I have a few different Kent Armstrong pickups and find them to be great pickups for the money. I really like the Tweedtone Strat pickups in particular. I've never played the humsized P-90's though.

If you were to go the humbucker route, I believe the Rio Grande humbuckers (Texax and BBQ) are brighter and hotter than Gibsons's PAF-type offerings.

• Members

Originally posted by AtomHeartMother

If you were to go the humbucker route, I believe the Rio Grande humbuckers (Texax and BBQ) are brighter and hotter than Gibsons's PAF-type offerings.

I have the BBq/TX set in an SG, and it sounds great, but it isn't bright at all. I always describe it as thick, but most say it's pretty dark.

Archived