Pickup opinions? (basswood vs mahogany)

• Members

Ok so, as can be seen in my sig, at the moment I have two basswood Ibanez 7-strings, my UV (main guitar) and an RG7620. Soon though, I plan to replace the RG7620 with an RG2127X (courtesy of a fellow forumite :)), and that will most likely replcace the UV as my main guitar.

The problem is, I'm a Tone Zone 7 (bridge) / Air Norton 7 (neck) fan. In the UV that sounds great, but the 2127X is mahogany. The AN7 should still be ok I think, but I'm pretty sure the TZ7 is going to sound too muddy 'n' whatnot in the mahogany 2127X. :(

So any suggestions as to what would be a suitable replacement for the TZ to get a similar overall sound? :confused:

• Members

the blaze or whatever the universe series originally come with. I can attest that steve's special (blaze 6 string version) sounds great with mahogany, very well balanced. I did put a tone zone on a this very same mahogany body and I didnt like it as it was too mudy

• Members

Originally posted by fusionid

the blaze or whatever the universe series originally come with. I can attest that steve's special (blaze 6 string version) sounds great with mahogany, very well balanced. I did put a tone zone on a this very same mahogany body and I didnt like it as it was too mudy

But will the Blaze in mahogany be comparable to a Tone Zone in basswood? Personally I hated the Blaze in my UV; sounded thin and harsh to my ears. I like the very full on sound that the TZ has in my UV, and I basically want to get as close to that as I can with this mahogany guitar.

I also didn't like Evos in my UV, but I think it might be closer to what I want than the Blaze. It sounded fairly full (not as full as the TZ), but it had a certain harsh high mid sound to it that I couldn't deal with. Maybe it'll work better for me in a mahogany guitar.... dunno. :confused:

• Members

Originally posted by DeadNight Warrior

But will the Blaze in mahogany be comparable to a Tone Zone in basswood? Personally I hated the Blaze in my UV; sounded thin and harsh to my ears. I like the very full on sound that the TZ has in my UV, and I basically want to get as close to that as I can with this mahogany guitar.

I also didn't like Evos in my UV, but I think it might be closer to what I want than the Blaze. It sounded fairly full (not as full as the TZ), but it had a certain harsh high mid sound to it that I couldn't deal with. Maybe it'll work better for me in a mahogany guitar.... dunno.
:confused:

I think the EVO sounds gross in Basswood and just right in Mahogany.

• Members

a somewhat related question....i have a Duncan Distortion and a DiMarzio Air Norton in my Agile (6 strings, mahogany body and set neck, with maple cap and rosewood fingerboard, 24.75" scale). if i like this combination in this guitar, is it likely that i'd like the 7-string equivalents in a guitar with a 25.5" scale, basswood body, and bolt-on maple neck with rosewood board?

• Members

I should add that the songs on my Myspace page are all Dimarzio Evolution in a neck thru mahogany LTD H-300. My mixes were a bit muddy and the music may not be your style, so take it with a grain of salt I guess.

• Members

Originally posted by Filter500

I think the EVO sounds gross in Basswood and just right in Mahogany.

Cool. I happen to still have the two Evos that were in my UV lying around still, so maybe I'll look into trying one of those in the bridge position.

Does it still have a fairly noticeable high mid sound in the mahogany. That's basically what bugged me about the Evo/basswood set up. It was kinda like having my whole set up running through some kind of subtle Steve Vai effect or something. :confused::(

• Members

Cool. I happen to still have the two Evos that were in my UV lying around still, so maybe I'll look into trying one of those in the bridge position.

Does it still have a fairly noticeable high mid sound in the mahogany. That's basically what bugged me about the Evo/basswood set up. It was kinda like having my whole set up running through some kind of subtle Steve Vai effect or something.
:confused::(

Somewhat, although since my introduction to the EVO was in mahogany, I later found that high mid thing to be too much in a basswood RG. The mahogany tames it a bit.

• Members

Somewhat, although since my introduction to the EVO was in mahogany, I later found that high mid thing to be too much in a basswood RG. The mahogany tames it a bit.

Sounds somewhat promising.

So hard to know for sure what would be best without blowing cash on various pickups though. :(

Which reminds me... I'll have to figure out what switching set up I want too... that sounds like a whole new thread to me... *sigh* :(:o

• Members

Sounds somewhat promising.

So hard to know for sure what would be best without blowing cash on various pickups though.
:(

Which reminds me... I'll have to figure out what switching set up I want too... that sounds like a whole new thread to me... *sigh*
:(:o

Well like you said, at least you already have the evolution to test out. Good luck.

• Members
Originally posted by FalseRevRG

a somewhat related question....i have a Duncan Distortion and a DiMarzio Air Norton in my Agile (6 strings, mahogany body and set neck, with maple cap and rosewood fingerboard, 24.75" scale). if i like this combination in this guitar, is it likely that i'd like the 7-string equivalents in a guitar with a 25.5" scale, basswood body, and bolt-on maple neck with rosewood board?

• Members

No, it's not a sure thing.

• Members

wish i had a good way to test it out...
:mad:

It's going to sound a lot more mid heavy overall with a looser bottom end and a dull top, I'll say that much. That's the difference I've noticed between mahogany and basswood. You can compensate by changing to a pickup that might better compliment the basswood to sound more like what you're used to, but it's still going to sound like basswood to some extent no matter what you do.

• Members

It's going to sound a lot more mid heavy overall with a looser bottom end and a dull top, I'll say that much. That's the difference I've noticed between mahogany and basswood. You can compensate by changing to a pickup that might better compliment the basswood to sound more like what you're used to, but it's still going to sound like basswood to some extent no matter what you do.

that's not necessarily the issue, as the Agile isn't my #1. the reason i'm using that for an example at all is because as far as 7-string pickups i'd be potentially interested in, those seem the most promising, since i like them (their 6-string equivalents, anyway) in another guitar....dunno tho.

Archived