I played a Custom shop Strat yesterday that was the BEST playing Strat ...

• Members

.......... that I ever put my fingers on. :eek:

.... I don't know what model it was, but it had all the vintage hardware and a rosewood neck. The action was incredibly low with no buzz. It felt as good as a well set up Les Paul ........played like butter.......and it sounded great too :)

.... the dude said it was a $2,500 guitar ....or that is what he paid for it. :confused:

....... the only thing was, I don't like those skinny 60s necks :o

I may have to do a search on Custom shop Strats and see what I can find. :)

• Members

No doubt those CS Strats can be way cool. I would not buy one new though. I used to piss away alot of cash on new guitars, but in my old age I have found that a little patience shopping around for used gear can save you some major bucks at times. I've seen to me what looks like some decent prices on CS models on ebay. I'm sure just like anything else you can get burned on ebay, but last Christmas I bought a SLO-100 for $1800.00 that was mint.

• Members

The problem with buying the re-issues is the neck for me too. I mean, I really like the nitro finish and the maple necks on the '57 re-issues, but do not particularly go for the vintage fret sizes and the 7.25 inch radius on the fretboard. It makes playing anything above or around the 12th fret a chore.

ON THE OTHER HAND. I just bought a Custom Shop strat with a 9.5 inch fretboard radius and medium jumbo frets, mable neck and fretboard and daphe blue body in original 57 contours that is probably the finest playing strat I've ever played. Walked into a shop last week and they had some old strings on it and it hadn't been played in forever. Had it marked at 2100. I walked out with it for about 1450. I think I got a sweet deal.

• Members
Originally posted by tlp123

No doubt those CS Strats can be way cool. I would not buy one new though. I used to piss away alot of cash on new guitars, but in my old age I have found that a little patience shopping around for used gear can save you some major bucks at times. I've seen to me what looks like some decent prices on CS models on ebay. I'm sure just like anything else you can get burned on ebay, but last Christmas I bought a SLO-100 for $1800.00 that was mint.

You know, I bought a SLO at Christmas too.... it is a 2004 and was perfect..... I was the high bidder at $1684 but didn't meet the reserve. :( The guy contacted me and said I could have it for $1750 shipped :eek: ..... I jumped on it.

Seems like Christmas time, not as many people bid stuff up :)

• Members
Originally posted by Rusty G.

The problem with buying the re-issues is the neck for me too. I mean, I really like the nitro finish and the maple necks on the '57 re-issues, but do not particularly go for the vintage fret sizes and the 7.25 inch radius on the fretboard. It makes playing anything above or around the 12th fret a chore.

ON THE OTHER HAND. I just bought a Custom Shop strat with a 9.5 inch fretboard radius and medium jumbo frets, mable neck and fretboard and daphe blue body in original 57 contours that is probably the finest playing strat I've ever played. Walked into a shop last week and they had some old strings on it and it hadn't been played in forever. Had it marked at 2100. I walked out with it for about 1450. I think I got a sweet deal.

Yeah, I don't like that radius thing either :( .... I do like the fatter neck on the 57 RI. I would put a warmoth on it, but they are all 22 fret :mad:

• Members
Originally posted by Dr. Tweedbucket

.......... that I ever put my fingers on.
:eek:

.... I don't know what model it was, but it had all the vintage hardware and a rosewood neck. The action was incredibly low with no buzz. It felt as good as a well set up Les Paul ........played like butter.......and it sounded great too
:)

.... the dude said it was a $2,500 guitar ....or that is what he paid for it.
:confused:

....... the only thing was, I don't like those skinny 60s necks
:o

I may have to do a search on Custom shop Strats and see what I can find.
:)

I played a CS Tele at GC here about two months ago. I have a Squire and i like it alot, (and have defended owning it here on HC) until I played that CS. Now.... I need to re-think and then I need to upgrade. LOL. BTW DocTweed....if I had a way to get it by my wife (just bought a couple guitars in the last few months) I would take that Tele off your hands TOOT SWEET! Those are so nice. Why are you selling it?

• Members

My dad has a 1960 Custom Shop reissue Strat, "Closet Classic". He got it new for like $1650 (GC Cleveland was having some kind of sale ... either that or he just SAID he got it for that much so my mom didn't kill his ass)

That is one monster guitar ... just perfect Strat sound and feel, down to the pickups.

• Members

One of the best strats I've ever played was a 1960 Relic RI. But I'll stick with my Melancon for now. Stunningly beautiful super light swamp ash body, 12" radius + low action (fantastic playability) dead quiet electronics, but I think I'll have to play it for a few years to really get the mojo going in it.

Archived