Truss rod questions

jgk62

• Members

I have a guitar that is buzzing on an open B string (and slight buzzing on the open G and E), but doesnt buzz when i fret the 1st fret, which leads me to believe its that fret. Or could it need a truss rod adjustment? If so, which way - loosen or tighten?

And I have another guitar that has high action but when i lower the action the B string buzzes around the 15th fret. Truss rod or fret?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

• Members

Direction of adjustment depends on the guitar in question.

Have you double checked the string height on those problem strings if its possible?

If you think you have a fret outta wack, slap a straight edge on the neck and see if any of them are outta line.

• Members

Originally posted by jgk62

I have a guitar that is buzzing on an open B string (and slight buzzing on the open G and E), but doesnt buzz when i fret the 1st fret, which leads me to believe its that fret. Or could it need a truss rod adjustment? If so, which way - loosen or tighten?

Wouldn't that indicate a nut problem? it sounds to me, if I understood you well, that the notches in the nut are too deep. To test if this is the case, you fret the string on the third fret, and check if there's a small space between the string and the first fret. If it turns out to be the nut, you can either shim the nut a bit or have a new one cut.

• Members

Yeah, sound like the nut is too low or the first fret is too high. If the gutiar was buzzing excesivley on the lower frets (say 1 - 7 or there abouts) but plays clearly up the neck, I'd say you need to add a little relief to the neck (loosen the truss rod). But since it's on the open string only this points to the nut and/or first fret.

• Members

Originally posted by jgk62

I have a guitar that is buzzing on an open B string

alrighty...if it is only buzzing when the string is played open but not when fretted, then it sure sounds like the other two guys are on the right track. If you have to address, you can replace the nut with a new one or try backfilling the slot w/ superglue and baking soda then cut to proper depth.

Archived