Better value? PRS CE22 VS Les Paul Studio

The Funk

• Members

A friend of mine is shopping for a new guitar. His last guitar fell on stage and cracked its headstock, it was a les paul studio from the mid 90's.

He liked that tone, but also is willing to stretch out a bit. We found a CE22 to be about the same price as a les paul studio brand new (he's only looking at new guitars. Price range of 1500-2000)

Wha do you think is the best value. Note, this is for his primary guitar, not one of a collection.

(and yes I know the CE22 is a bolt on)

• Members
Originally posted by The Funk

A friend of mine is shopping for a new guitar. His last guitar fell on stage and cracked its headstock, it was a les paul studio from the mid 90's.

He liked that tone, but also is willing to stretch out a bit. We found a CE22 to be about the same price as a les paul studio brand new (he's only looking at new guitars. Price range of 1500-2000)

Wha do you think is the best value. Note, this is for his primary guitar, not one of a collection.

(and yes I know the CE22 is a bolt on)

IMHO the ce22 is a better value. much more versatile...

• Members

For a price range of $1500-$2000 he shoudl be looking at Les Paul Classics and Standards. That's very very high for a Studio.

That being said, the Studio and a CE22 are pretty different guitars. You can get lot sof opinions, but it's all goign to rest on him actually going andplaying both and decided which suits him better.

For reference, I have a Les Paul Standard and a CE24. Both are great guitars, but not directly comparable in my eyes.

• Members

PRS over the studio, no question.

But for that price, he can get a Les Paul Standard and that might be a tougher choice.

But I have owned the CE22 and it was a great guitar. I'm not a fan of the LP studios. But a studio shouldn't run more than 1100 - 1200 bucks.

• Members

The PRS isn't going to sound at all like the Les Paul. At least my CE24 doesn't, but it's one of the older ones with an alder body. It sounds more like a double fat strat.

Either could be a great guitar, or either could be a dog. I have a buddy that used to have a '93 LP Studio. He wanted a Standard and offered me the Studio for $600. It was a player guitar with a little bit of wear around the edges of the body, but no dents or dings to speak of. I hated that guitar. I wouldn't have given him $300 for it. Now, the Standard that he got is an amazingly good guitar. I'd gladly give him $600 for it. :D

I agree with the guy that said that with your budget you should be looking at least at LP Classics, and probably Standards. You should also be able to get a PRS CU22 for under $2k as long as you don't get a 10 top with birds.

• Members

Originally posted by NewYorkNewYork

Hamer Studio or Artist all the way! Plenty of the Gibson vibe with less weight and better quality.

I would agree with the Hamer Studio suggestion.

New CE-22's can be had for less than $1500 - I bought mine from Washington Music for $1200 and it was a beautiful guitar. If it came down to PRS vs Gibson, I wouldn't hesitate to buy the PRS.

• Members

Originally posted by guzinta

If he likes the Studio so much, why doesn't he just get the headstock repaired?

A new studio shouldn't cost much more than $1100 ...

Repair the headstock. That was my second thought. My first was how do you decide value with guitars that expensive. I wouldn't begin to pay that much for a guitar. But I'm a tightwad and don't play well enough to tell the difference.

• Members

Originally posted by chiro972

Repair the headstock. That was my second thought. My first was how do you decide value with guitars that expensive. I wouldn't begin to pay that much for a guitar. But I'm a tightwad and don't play well enough to tell the difference.

Not really reparable. Break goes straight through. Headstock is basically held onto the guitar by the strings. The only way to repair it (according to a luthier friend of mine) would be to cut it off completely, take it to a belt sander to smooth it, and make a new headstock to glue on.

Thanks for the suggestions. I played the prs and the gibson he looked at and to me it was no contest, the PRS was kickass. He liked both and he does feel nostalgia for his les paul, but he found the prs easier to play.

those prices were for a Les Paul studio plus in Desert Burst ($1499) or a brown CE22 ($1799) at the Guitar Center on Comm Ave in Brighton (boston). Don't know if their is wiggle room or not on those.

• Members

Originally posted by The Funk

Not really reparable. Break goes straight through. Headstock is basically held onto the guitar by the strings. The only way to repair it (according to a luthier friend of mine) would be to cut it off completely, take it to a belt sander to smooth it, and make a new headstock to glue on.

Thanks for the suggestions. I played the prs and the gibson he looked at and to me it was no contest, the PRS was kickass. He liked both and he does feel nostalgia for his les paul, but he found the prs easier to play.

those prices were for a Les Paul studio plus in Desert Burst ($1499) or a brown CE22 ($1799) at the Guitar Center on Comm Ave in Brighton (boston). Don't know if their is wiggle room or not on those.

That is way way way way way too much to pay for a Studio. He can get a Les Paul Standard for a few hundred dollars more with only a modicum of haggling.

That's high for the PRS, too. If he pays those prices he's a bit foolish in my opinion.

• Members

Originally posted by SixkillerNYC

That is way way way way way too much to pay for a Studio. He can get a Les Paul Standard for a few hundred dollars more with only a modicum of haggling.

That's high for the PRS, too. If he pays those prices he's a bit foolish in my opinion.

I agree. I'm no expert on either one, but the Studio, being a Studio Plus I assume, shouldn't be more than $1400 or so. The PRS should be easily had for less than $1500.

Archived