Macca and the Texan

jerry_picker

• Members

So, MF tells me that His Holiness Sir Paul now endorses several lines of Epiphone '64 Texan reissues.

How much do you suppose they paid him for this?

(Might it have been more appropriate for Hofner to snag him for a violin bass deal?)

• Members

I always find it funny when a really cheap guitar gets the celebrity endorsement treatment. Like the Robert Johnson L-1 that now costs 2 grand when at the time it was the cheapest steel string Gibson made and Johnson may have only had his picture taken with it as a prop.

A lot of people asked Paul McCartney why he appeared on t.v. playing that cheap Epiphone Texan and he said he just didn't care about guitars...that it was all about the song.

• Members

Originally posted by guitarcapo

I always find it funny when a really cheap guitar gets the celebrity endorsement treatment. Like the Robert Johnson L-1 that now costs 2 grand when at the time it was the cheapest steel string Gibson made and Johnson may have only had his picture taken with it as a prop.

A lot of people asked Paul McCartney why he appeared on t.v. playing that cheap Epiphone Texan and he said he just didn't care about guitars...that it was all about the song.

But back in the early 60's, Epiphone's weren't cheap guitars.

• Members

Originally posted by Psychotronic

But back in the early 60's, Epiphone's
weren't
cheap guitars.

They actually were marketed to people who wanted a Gibson but couldn't afford them. By the Beatles era, Epi had become a subsidiary of Gibson and was pretty much their budget label...even though they were (often) excellent, (always) Kalamazoo-made back then.

Archived