Does anyone know how to put buzz feiten tuning on a guitar?

jrew

• Members

You have to use a special "shelf nut" that hangs over the fretboard a little (presumably on b,g, and d strings). Only certified installers have the goods, as far as I know.

As a previous poster said, you could just use the earvana nut, or buy "fretwaves" I think they're called. . . all operates on the same principal.

• Members

If I understand correctly the Earvana doesn't need offsets because they are in the nut, each string has a different scale length. The overhanging nut on the BF system is the same length for each string so bridge adjustments are needed for the compensation.

You could install the BF system by chopping off a piece from the end of the fretboard or making a "shelf nut" yourself. I suppose you could first saw a bit off the nut and then shape the fretboard radius into it with files. Of glue two nut parts together where one has the fretboard radius shaped into the bottom.

The offsets and how much the nut is moved towards the first fret can be found in the BF patent which you can read from the US Patent Office website.

The bottom line is that the Earvana is way easier to install.

• Members

Originally posted by LaXu

If I understand correctly the Earvana doesn't need offsets because they are in the nut, each string has a different scale length. The overhanging nut on the BF system is the same length for each string so bridge adjustments are needed for the compensation.

I don't get these compensating systems. They move the bridge and the nut, but the frets remain in the same places. Wouldn't this cause other inconsistencies?

• Members

Originally posted by Distantkool

I don't get these compensating systems. They move the bridge and the nut, but the frets remain in the same places. Wouldn't this cause other inconsistencies?

Yes, but the feiten system also uses "compensated tuning." The inconsistencies caused are apparently smaller than the inconsistencies inherent in the instrument. I believe that he (mr feiten) puts the frets in slightly different places in the instruments that are created "from scratch"--which adds to the tuning stability. Check out his resume, it's quite impressive! I'm almost ready to drop the 130 bones to get it done. . . but the earvana thing may solve the most of the problem for a lot less.

• Members

go play a fender guitar. and then right after play a PRS. (i have one of each so i know this test works). The PRS has a compensated nut and sounds much more in tune all over the neck. The fender sounds out of tune in comparison. Im thinking of getting a compensated nut made for my fender like the PRS has. I dont want to have to do the buzz feiten offsets but i want the increased tuning. IF i didnt go this route, i'd probably go with the earvana over the feiten for the same reason

Archived