strat question

snake eyes

• Members

Originally posted by snake eyes

Is a Squire Standard strat on the same level as the Fender MIM Standard strat ?

as far as sound, sure.

feel no. but for people on a budget, sound is omre important.

for people not on a budget, they can spend more and get a comfortable good playing guitar.

ive given squiers their fair shot, i picked some up, sure the hardwares a little flimsy, but thats a cheap almost free fix.

the main thing is the neck. i dont like the necks on them at all. Sharp edges, i like something simple rolled edges, some of them have quite an edge to them.

and of course, tuners are important. but good ones cost a little bit of money.

If you can find one with a good neck, then id say easily on the same level.

cuz cheap strats are not smoking guitars out of the box. i think theyre meant to be improved.

the best cheap strat ive seen are yamahas. not fenders.

• Members

with fender strats (mim, mia, etc.) there are okay ones, killer ones and sorry ones. what i mean is you can take 10 fender standard strats made from same factory even on the same day - play through them and spend time with them and you will start to notice that some may feel a little better than others, one may sound a little better and have more resonance.

it depends on how they come together at the factory. ive had alot of strats from cheap copies to squires and mostly MIA, MIM, MIJ strats over the years. i usually stuck with american deluxe, but also had a few signature strats i loved. then last year i came across a lite ash strat (made in korea) that happens to be a better guitar than most all the strats ive had in the last 17 years. i got lucky and found one that had to have come together under perfect circumstances where every part is so tight, the resonance is unbelievable and the feel is something ive always wanted.

so i guess what i am saying is, keep looking and playing through a bunch of them, of any model in your budget. i almost didnt even pick up that guitar i mentioned because i was thinking "even though its pretty it wont be able to compete with american models". i almost missed out on my favorite guitar ever. so if you are not too sure in what to look for, try to bring a friend to help you go through as many as you can find in your price range.

i think as a whole that the MIM strats are almost always going to be a better guitar than the standard squire strats. but, if you play enough squires i bet you will find one that is as good and maybe better than most MIM strats. its funny how the guitars are not exactly the same in terms of sound/feel/construction, even if they are the same model. thats why i will not order a strat - i want to pick mine out because the quality varies from guitar to guitar.

i wish all the guitars came out exactly the same every time, that way you would know exactly what you were getting every time. but then again its kind of cool when you come across a guitar that is so solid that it surprises you. i would not trade my lite ash strat for 3 american deluxes, i love it that much and it gets played more than my other guitars.

i hope you find a good one in whatever you end up with:)

Archived