How much is a 77 Deluxe Ash Strat worth?

AsGoDaS

• Members

If your serial number has an S in front of it its a '77, as S=seventies, 7 seventh year of the decade. Its just a Fender Stratocaster however, as they only had one model in those days, and they were all made with ash. Price will depend on the condition and colour, but late 70s Fenders are getting into the grand to 1500 bucks range.

• Members

Originally posted by batotman

Its value is probably that, because its OLD ("vintage").

Personally I'd spend my $1000 towards something new, or better. That is considered a low point in Fender history.

+1

He'll get $1K for it, that seems the going rate.

It is probably very heavy, Fender was using Northern Ash then, in the '70's everyone wanted really heavy guitars because they believe they had better sustain.

It will also have the 3-bolt neck joint, which can be very unstable when combined with a lot of trem action.

-Y.

• Members

Originally posted by JackBootedThug

A local store has one, they have $1500 on it. Been hangin for a long time.

Well, that's too much for a post-'75. That's why it is still hanging.

-Y.

• Members

Originally posted by Wyatt

It will also have the 3-bolt neck joint, which can be very unstable when combined with a lot of trem action.

-Y.

IF the guitar is a good player with a tight neck pocket and everything is in order:

straight neck, good frets, electronics all work, original finish, $900-1000 is a very decent buy. IF...

Excuse me, but you found this guitar in Turkey? :eek:

• Members

Originally posted by batotman

Its value is probably that, because its OLD ("vintage").

Personally I'd spend my $1000 towards something new, or better. That is considered a low point in Fender history.

I'd say the lowest point for CBS-Fender was a few years later, about the time Fender Japan got off the ground and did such a good job that the Americans wept real tears at how bad their butts were getting kicked.

CBS put out good guitars and lemons. My take is that the lemon ratio was a bit higher than it was in Leo times. I remember that a lot of "new" brands were coming out in the mid-70's (including Leo's MusicMan project), and with them came a lot of counter- intelligence directed against CBS, not all of which was warranted.

• Members

Originally posted by jerry_picker

IF the guitar is a good player with a tight neck pocket and everything is in order:

straight neck, good frets, electronics all work, original finish, $900-1000 is a very decent buy. IF...

Excuse me, but you found this guitar in Turkey?
:eek:

yep

Archived