WHEW! New axe!

jakalope1321

• Members

Just got a vintage Ibanez 12-String Acoustic from the 60/70's(not sure but its over 30 years old for sure)! All i know is that the model number is 637-12. Any info on this guitar? My girlfriends mom gave it to me as a present, whom she got from her grandma...awesome huh? Oh man, these things were quality made back in the day. Anyone else have any Ibanez Vintage guitars? This things a beauty and plays just as well. I'll have pics up soon. Any recommendation on strings. I was thinking of Martin 12 String 12 guage.

• Members

Handmade huh? That explains the awesome quality! This thing sounds so great. It just needs to be cleaned up a bit. It hasnt been played for about 20 years! Its been so neglected, but i plan on cleaning up the wood, the chrome tuners, and then have it set up as this is my first 12 string! Don't worry guys, i'll have pics by tomorrow! Until then, anyone else have any comments on the guitars quality/sound?

• Members

Handmade huh? That explains the awesome quality! This thing sounds so great. It just needs to be cleaned up a bit. It hasnt been played for about 20 years! Its been so neglected, but i plan on cleaning up the wood, the chrome tuners, and then have it set up as this is my first 12 string! Don't worry guys, i'll have pics by tomorrow! Until then, anyone else have any comments on the guitars quality/sound?

• Members

Very Nice. As I said I have several older Ibanez acoustics. One is an 82 model V310TV. Solid spruce top Mahogany back and sides, it's the dark red one in the pic. The other is an 88 or 89 Artwood AW100. They still make these but mine is pretty unique. I've never seen one like this. The back and sides are walnut. The top is very, very tight grained book matched Sitka Spruce. the pickguard is actually a piece of walnut and is set into the spuce top. The back and front are bound in what I believe to be birch (not plastic binding) and even the heel cap is birch also. The thing is a frickin canon when you play it. It is truly an "ArtWood".

It's the one front and center. Nice find on that 12 string. The twelve in my pic is a Takamine. Flame maple back and sides and the sweetest playing 12 string I've ever tried. BTW...... I use xl's on my 12.

acoustics1.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by Kevman

Cool axe.

You tune the big 6 to 440 and the little strings an octave higher on the EAD and G strings the B and E are tuned the same as the other B and E. Make sense?

O man i just got cross-eyed, can anyone dumb that down for me? Sorry guys, i'm so used to just electric guitars...lol

Archived