anyone else have this problem with thinner strings?

tom_innit

• Members

So up until recently ive been using 11s on my les paul. i decidded to switch back to 10s just 'for a change' or whatever. i like the way it plays more, but the unwound ones keep going out of tune. ive had them on it since thursday, 11s normally have settled in after the first 10 minutes of playing or so. anyone else have this problem? i tried stretching them then retuning etc but they still go out of tune when im playing! its not a huge difference, normally just slightly flat, but its enough to make my playing sound bad :o

so any suggestions for what to do about it would be great thanks

• Members

Originally posted by tom_innit

So up until recently ive been using 11s on my les paul. i decidded to switch back to 10s just 'for a change' or whatever. i like the way it plays more, but the unwound ones keep going out of tune. ive had them on it since thursday, 11s normally have settled in after the first 10 minutes of playing or so. anyone else have this problem? i tried stretching them then retuning etc but they still go out of tune when im playing! its not a huge difference, normally just slightly flat, but its enough to make my playing sound bad
:o

so any suggestions for what to do about it would be great thanks

You wouldn't think going down in gauge would make the string get stuck in the notch of the nut (it's usually the case when using bigger strings if it happens) but who knows? could it be a cause for this? Or maybe that particular string is flawed. Try changing that one string, and putting some pencil (2H is the best! :) ) in the notch of the nut.

• Members

ahh. maybe il go back to using ernie balls again then. i cant remember how long my roto 11s took to settle in so i cant compare really.. thanks. i tried doing that pencil lead thing and it didnt work very well, plus i checked the intonation and it all seems ok... maybe the strings need more turns round the post? i only normally put one or two on but it normally holds fine...

• Members

3 in 1 oil at the nut and saddles. just barley a drop or so. works wonders. also that nutsauce stuff is really good. basically any type of lube at the friction points (nut and bridge) helps most tuning issues assuming that your tuners, nut etc are properly functioning etc.

Archived