Guitar Restoration: Filling A Fender-Style 'Swimming Pool'

Xodiac

• Members

I have an electric guitar which I recently aquired that was built over 20 years ago. This model guitar DOES NOT USUALLY have a pickguard, however this one did. After removing the pickguard, yep you guessed it, the swimming pool was uncovered. My plan is to fill the 'pool' completely, sand it out smooth, AND THEN re-route new pickup cavities. At this point I just finished sanding the neck and body (neck-thru-body guitar) down to the bare wood. So filling the 'pool' is the next task on the list.

I've been doing the regular websearches using Google and have seen many 'different' examples for guitar repair and so forth. I do plan to use a solid color when refinishing the guitar, so it doesnt have to look pretty, as long as it can be sanded/drilled/routed like normal wood.

What compound, epoxy, resin, or wood filler is best for this occasion?

• Members

Originally posted by Shocker

Why not sand down the finish on the inside and glue in a piece of alder or whatever it currently is? It can't be any worse than trying to fill it with glue.

//S

This is what I would reccomend. Then use the filler to blend it in around the edges so you dont have lines show up after paint.

Kyle G

• Members

Originally posted by Xodiac

I have an electric guitar which I recently aquired that was built over 20 years ago. This model guitar DOES NOT USUALLY have a pickguard, (neck-thru-body guitar)

filler is best for this occasion?

OK, I'll bit. What kind of guitar is it that's over 20 years old, with neck through construction and no pickguard?

B.C. Rich? Carvin? Alembic? Moonstone?

By the way, I've seen bowling ball material used for such "fill-in" projects. A custom ball maker could help with that.

• Members

Originally posted by headless

OK, I'll bit. What kind of guitar is it that's over 20 years old, with neck through construction and no pickguard?

B.C. Rich? Carvin? Alembic? Moonstone?

By the way, I've seen bowling ball material used for such "fill-in" projects. A custom ball maker could help with that.

BOWLING BALL MATERIAL?!?! Wow, wouldn't a block of maple/mahogany/alder work? It wouldn't even have to be perfect, just fill the sides of the cavity with wood putty, plop it in there and sand it down...

• Members

Originally posted by headless

it's a 1981 USA made neckthru BC Rich Mockingbird - there was a limited run of a certain model back then which came with a fender pickup config (3 single coils) and pickguard, as well as a fender tremolo bridge and fender style reversed headstock.

the pickup cavities have the wiring trench that runs through them, and then into the electronics cavity. i plan to fill all this, including the electronics cavity, then re-router for dual humbuckers, relocate electronics cavity to back, and already have the back spring cavity there, so i'm retrofitting an original floyd rose on it, which will require a small amount of routing on the top for recessing it.

i do plan to take some photos of my progress on this, and i'll post them once this project is completed. it will give you a better image of where the instrument came from, and where its going, eventually. i dont work on it every single day, but i make a little headway on it every week, so its gonna be a little while. also im glad that im not in a rush to complete it, because i dont want to make a wrong turn that i'll regret later. im fairly competent with woodworking, however i dont claim to be a luthier and have never done anything like this before. wish me luck.

• Members

if you're thinking of filling the pool with epoxy that's definitely a big mistake. it would undoubtedly be expensive at over $7 for four ounces! i don't think it would be very good for routing the pickup cavities and sanding/finishing/etc., not to mention the drastic effect that a big hunk of plastic-type stuff in the middle of your guitar would have on tone.

people are definitely on the right track with using a block of wood and then this epoxy to fill in the gaps

• Members

Originally posted by zac102

honestly, I think what you're planning on doing to that guitar is a mistake. you might d best to sell that to someone, and just buy a guitar closer to what you actually want.

Finally someone is talking some sense here. What do you think filling the swimming pool route will do? Why bother? Sell the guitar and get one that is set up the way you want it.

• Members

This sounds just like the kind of stupid project I would undertake. I'd spend lots of time and too much money to decide it wasn't worth it and go spend more money buying something else.

Hope you have more stick-to-it'ness than I do.

• Members

honestly, I think what you're planning on doing to that guitar is a mistake. you might d best to sell that to someone, and just buy a guitar closer to what you actually want.

I agree, extra glued seams are bad enough, but to load the cavity with epoxy... I think you might be flirting with makeing it sound like {censored}.

Not to mention adding weight you may not want.

• Members

No one's mentioned Bondo (auto body filler). I use it on wood under solid finishes all the time: bonds well, sets fast (sandable in like 10 minutes), easy to build up. And real cheap. Only thing is it isn't too strong -- probably stronger than wood filler, but way weaker than epoxy.

However, I agree it's probably better to fill the hole with wood.

• Members

bondo(and every other filler for that matter) shouldn't be used to fill big holes, it should only be used as a final and very thin skim coat to hide wrinkles, seams, and other small blemishes. I'd also imagine that it would crack horribly if you tried to machine it.

however, a few more things to consider. If you're planning on doing a "restoration", and the guitar came with a swimming pool route, you should leave it alone. If this is a rare type of BC Rich, what I would do is e-mail Ed Roman about it and see if you can trade him the guitar for one of his custom shop pieces. He seems to blow his load at the mere thought of those types of guitars.

• Members

bondo(and every other filler for that matter) shouldn't be used to fill big holes, it should only be used as a final and very thin skim coat to hide wrinkles, seams, and other small blemishes. I'd also imagine that it would crack horribly if you tried to machine it.

Bondo can be used to patch and fill, if you do it in thin layers with fiberglass fabric embedded between the layers. Nasty work...sanding releases fiberlass microfibers that can get in your skin, eyes, lungs.

I'd get another guitar. Someone probably wants that one just like it is.

• Members

still, I can't think of any practicle application where you would want to do that. with wood working, you can always fill with wood, metal, there's always welding patch panels, in most applications, fiberglass is just a thin sheet.

but I wouldn't want to be the guy to work with fiberglass that deep, and I've done a lot of repairs with glass. A few years ago, I helped my grandfather strech a fiberglass kit car body 5 inches, widen it 6, and add on some fender flares. During the cutting and sanding, I was wearing a full resperator(not just a dust mask) and it still took a lot out of my lungs. The guy that originaly made the body made the firewall about an inch thick, so trying to do the wirring harness was a real pain.

• Members

Originally posted by jerry_picker

Bondo can be used to patch and fill, if you do it in thin layers with fiberglass fabric embedded between the layers. Nasty work...sanding releases fiberlass microfibers that can get in your skin, eyes, lungs.

I'd get another guitar. Someone probably wants that one just like it is.

The only thing that gets you with bondo or some expoxy products is the number of fills that you see pop over time due to the different rates and degrees of expansion & contraction (or lack there of) of the two radically different materials and lack of transition that most people leave between the patch and body when the instrument gets exposed to humidity changes. There are expoxy fillers made to be more flexible and cope with some movement.

• Members

Originally posted by k4df4l

The only thing that gets you with bondo or some expoxy products is the number of fills that you see pop over time due to the different rates and degrees of expansion & contraction (or lack there of) of the two radically different materials and lack of transition that most people leave between the patch and body when the instrument gets exposed to humidity changes. There are expoxy fillers made to be more flexible and cope with some movement.

Oh, I agree!

I was just trying to make a case for NOT doing this on a guitar. :cool:

Archived