Removing lacquer finish on neck and fretboard

donbarzini

• Members

I currently own an Ernie Ball Axis and I love the necks on the guitars. They recommend using an oil and wax treatment for maintenance on the unfinished necks. I just picked up an old import Charvel and I like the maple neck and maple fretboard, however, they used a heavy lacquer finish on the back of the necks and the fretboards of those guitars. I would like to be able to remove that lacquer down to the to the wood and use the oil & wax treatment to get more of an unfinished feel on the neck and fretboard. Any suggestions? I read a post on the forum that someone used a product called Formby's, if this would work, I would feel comfortable doing this rather than using sandpaper. Thanks!

• Members

I guess it would depend on what kind of lacker is on the guitar. The formby's idea was suggested for nitro finish (if my memory serves me well) and it was said it would not work on a poly type of finish.

• Members

One point to remember - if you use any kind of chemical stripper be sure it won't melt plastic, i.e. the nut, edge bindings or position markers. I've always tended to sand necks down..tedious but really rewarding.

Archived