My favorite sub $1K guitar--quality plus tone!

docjeff

• Members

Here it is. A Rickenbacker 620 with the highly underrated Rick Hi Gain single coil pickups. This is a great guitar for the money ($900-$1000). It's definitely not for metalheads or death rockers, but the small all-maple body and neck combined with the rosewood board and tailpiece yield a unique, indie sound that goes from chimey to overdriven with ease. And you gotta love the crested wave body and the fact that it probably weighs in at around 5 to 6 pounds! The old style knobs are the only mods (I do this on all of my Ricks. It's easier to see my volume and tone settings--and I think they look ultra cool).

620a.jpg

620b.jpg

620c.jpg620d.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by EdgySwingsetAcid

If I could get a Ric made with mahogany instead of maple, I would be all over one.

The hi gain pickups are well-voiced for the maple body--they are not as bright as you might expect. I also have an SG Classic with P-90s that sounds killer and, obviously, it has a mahogany body.

sglow.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by EdgySwingsetAcid

If I could get a Ric made with mahogany instead of maple, I would be all over one.

650Cblueboy0426869combo.jpg

660JG0436859front.jpg

Bros...what model is that blue one above? That's cool as hell. Is that in production, or just in somebody's private collection?

• Members

Blue boy was the Rickenbacker color of the year for 2004 based on the Jim Reeves color from 1961. This year's COY is blue burst, based on a Mary Chapin Carpenter custom. 2003 was Montezuma Brown.

This site is fun to look at to see a bunch of different models, but all the stuff I want is already sold:

http://www.the-music-connection.com/ric.htm

• 1 month later...

Archived