So i played a "vintage" Gibson LP Studio today...

batotman

• Members

I'm out doing my thing, inspecting houses (i'm an appraiser) and I go in a garage with the homeowner and he has a drumkit in there. He tells me about it and I'm like that cool i'm into guitars myself. He tells me he is too and has an old american strat (which was at his brothers) and an old Gibson LP studio. I say show me!

:D

I don't know what the {censored} this thing was! It was built similar to an Epiphone LP Special II. Bolt on neck. Pickup selector was down with the volume knobs. Headstock was same as a normal Gibson except said something like "The Gibson Guitar Company". Truss cover said "studio" and the serial was stamped on the back of the headstock.

The guitar looked a million years old and he said he got it in the 80's. Felt like most Studios.....cheap....:D

Of course I was a bit distracted by something i saw. The 1-12 frets appeared to have normal wear....but after that they were worn down to the fretboard. I mean the smallest frets I've ever seen, like a piece of thread thin!!! :eek:

So what the hell did I see?

• Members
Originally posted by batotman

{censored}in {censored}, you are a genius....thats what it was! Now that I see one i know 100% for sure. I knew there was a pickguard but couldn't remember what it looked like!

:D hell, I wouldn't go that far.

Those guitars seem to be moving a bit better on the used market than they did several years back..heck, there was a point around here where shops could not unload one if it came in on trade.

• Members

No it wasn't the binding. The paint, the bolt on neck, the frets, the fretboard, the weight, the comfort of the neck made it (THE SONEX) feel cheap.

PRS doesn't have binding and they don't feel cheap.

• Members

I've never seen a bolt on lp studio. Maybe they do feel cheap.
Come to think of it, I haven't seen many bolt on gibsons period.
The only difference that I could see between the studio I had and my friend's 76 and RI9 was the binding. They felt and sounded the same.
Except for that stupid paint on the back of the neck. I can see why some people sand it.

• Members

No it wasn't the binding. The paint, the bolt on neck, the frets, the fretboard, the weight, the comfort of the neck made it feel cheap.

PRS doesn't have binding and they don't feel cheat.

So... Are you saying just that particular sonex studio felt cheap, or are you making a blanket statement including real deal Gibson LP studios?

My studio feels just as cheap as a 335. :D

• Members

No it wasn't the binding. The paint, the bolt on neck, the frets, the fretboard, the weight, the comfort of the neck made it feel cheap.

PRS doesn't have binding and they don't feel cheat.

Studios don't have bolt on necks and have the same nitrocellulose laquer and everything else as Standards. Just no binding and occasionally a thinner maple cap. I think you're thinking of something else entirely.

• Members

Originally posted by gt5litre

The first LP Studios that were out in the early to mid 80's were made with Alder bodies!

gt5litre

Got a link on that info? That is the first I have heard that.

• Members

Originally posted by cybergreen

Studios don't have bolt on necks and have the same nitrocellulose laquer and everything else as Standards. Just no binding and occasionally a thinner maple cap. I think you're thinking of something else entirely.

Yeah no kidding, I was talking about the weird ass guitar I played today.

• Members
Originally posted by guzinta

So... Are you saying just that particular sonex studio felt cheap, or are you making a blanket statement including real deal Gibson LP studios?

My studio feels just as cheap as a 335.
:D

I will say about the same about every LP studio I've played (obviously not the bolt on part) and every Ric I've played!!!!

• Members

My first electric was a Sonex (Custom Deluxe, maybe?). Black on black w/zebras. I believe they did use Dirty Fingers in those, but I wouldn't have known the difference back then. Ahhh, the 80s, when men were chicks and Gibsons were plastic.

Archived