Reading about them made me score a Peavey Predator

• Members

I've wanted a white strat for a while now. This is going to be an alternate tuning beater, unless it proves nicer than expected. Any chance a Fender tortoiseshell guard will fit?

Interesting that I just sold my Ibanez Talman TC-620 for almost twice this much, and here's what I'm replacing it with...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33046&item=7320408044&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

• Members

Great Score, and I was watching that auction....

As most probably know, I am a big fan of the Peavey USA Predators, and have used them along side my Fender American Standards since the early 1990's...

And yes, and of the Fender Stratocaster pickguards will fit.. You will have to drill a couple of new holes (as the Predator has a 8-hole pickguard)...

Here are a couple of my 'modified Predators'....

The latest has a Black Pearloid Fender Stratocaster pickguard with P90's, setup by Vintage Clubber, and it has an amazing range of tone. :cool:

3strats1.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by deadwarpoetsguitar

How hard was it to do the P-90 thing? More importantly, how does it sound?

If I like this one, I might grab another to do that. Hard to beat $80-$120 for a USA-made guitar, even if you have to gut its electronics.

Is the SSS one stock?

The one in the middle (white pickguard) is completely stock and sounds great, and the electronics on these have never given me any problems at all, even after untold hours of playing for over 10 years. BTW, they come with very nice graphite string nuts, so you shouldn't have to worry about replacing it..

The P90 Predator in amazing, to say the least. It has a balanced hot tone that is very lifely and resonant.. Piercing leads or smooth rhythm is simple for this monster. Crank it up and it will growl.. :cool:

The loaded P90 pickguard was purchased from VV, and installation was a snap...

• Members

I had 2 predators, one was an older one like in that auction with the # stamped into the back. I liked it so much i got another one but it was a little different, it didnt have the "crafted in the us" on it but had the same logo style. The neck wasnt as good as the first one.

The first one had bad pickups, all the pickups had a short, the wires on the pickups had corosion and were shorted in spots. I wound up replacing them all. The tuners could be replaced and then it would be good.

• Members

So I'm a moron... what is VV?

1. He meant to say "VC" (OFG has maybe a bit too many Fenders and therefore his process may be a little degenerated :D ...playing some 24.75" guits would of course, remedy that)

2. VC = Vintage Clubber. A Forumite who builds guitars, does mods, sells parts, etc.....do a search on his username and you'll see him...or just visit his site www.monstertoneguitars.com

• Members

Originally posted by geddins81

1. He meant to say "VC" (OFG has maybe a bit too many Fenders and therefore his process may be a little degenerated
:D
...playing some 24.75" guits would of course, remedy that)

Yeah, "VC", that's what I meant... I typed it in correctly, the computer must have messed up... :D

• Members

Hard to beat $80-$120 for a USA-made guitar, even if you have to gut its electronics.

When I read you first post I thought we were talking about an Asian built Pedator. (I own a Vietnamese built one) So I was wondering what the big deal was, at the price you paid.

Now that I see it was USA made I'm impressed.

Peavey's are constantly under valued. I myself paid only $125. for a vintage 1980 Peavey T-60, with orignial hardshell case. What other USA made, 25 year old guitar can you get for that kind of money?

• Members

I got one a few weeks ago. Cannot beat it for the money, period. I struggle playing mine plugged in because i'm not a single coil fan. Neck shape feels similar to some of the Squier Standards. I'm a Squier fan so don't think thats a slam...lol.

They say crafted in USA, but I suspect by crafted they mean assembled. Would I say its worth $300? No. But $100-$175, heck yeah! Lightweight and quality ain't bad at all.

OFG, how do you think they compare to the Agile ST-802?

• Members

Originally posted by batotman

OFG, how do you think they compare to the Agile ST-802?

I like the 802, and it compares very well against the Predator, or most "real Fenders" for that matter...

The Predator is more 'traditional' with the normal style bridge and solid saddles that are much like the American Standard's, while the 802 has the Wilkinson bridge and saddles... Both have graphite nuts, and the 802 did have locking Grover tuners. From what I understand the new 802's do not come with locking tuners.

The 802 seems to have a slightly brighter tone than the Predator (both being in stock form)...

Can't go wrong with either of them, but given the choice I don't think I would 'trade off' any of my Predators for 802's. :cool:

802new.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by batotman

I struggle playing mine plugged in because i'm not a single coil fan.

There are ways, if your middle pickup is reverse wound/reverse magnetic poplarity, to wire-up your Pedator for a couple of different hum-cancelling (series) modes. (as opposed to the standard #2 & #4 positions which are hum-cancelling, in parallel mode).

This can be done without any visual modification or additional parts, but you do lose classic Strat sounds.

Archived