Michael Kelly ebay post-auction offer: thoughts?

• Members

If I remember correctly, there's a scam built around the post auction offers. If I were you, I'd e-mail the seller through eBay to verify that it was indeed him who mailed you.

Others can propably tell you more on how that all works out.

• Members

I recently sold a guitar on ebay through a second chance offer.

Did this person get your email adress through you asking the seller a question about the item?

I'm curious because no bids were placed.

You still have ebay protection with a second chance offer through ebay.

Normally a second chance offer is made to the highest bidder for

the amount they bid.

• Members

Yeah, I would have him relist because I don't see how he can make you a second chance offer without a bid being placed.

This way you will be protected and he will recover his relisting fees once the item sells.

• Members

The second chance offer goes threw e-bay, when they give you a second chance offer its like a BIN at the price they sent you the second chance offer for.

Ive sent some one a second chance offer and it works just like a 1 day BIN auction. If the "second chance offer" is threw paypal and lagit not just threw and e-mail take it.

I had some kid bid $30. over the average cost on an ipod then he backed out and said he bid on the wrong auction. He agreed to pay for my e-bay charges then i gave the next in line a second chance offer. I couldnt do anything for 24 hours till that person let the 1 day BIN (second chance offer) expire.

They have changed it.

• Members

Originally posted by deadwarpoetsguitar

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2384&item=7317760572&rd=1

I almost took this guitar at the end of the auction but something held me back. The seller is offering to sell it to me for $275 now, plus shipping. Any reason why I shouldn't go for it?

IF he offers it through Ebay as a "second chance offer" you should be fine (at least as fine as if you won it in a regular auction insofar as Ebay protections are in force). I recently snagged a Protone Thinline w/HSC for $225 that way. :D

Read up! http://pages.ebay.com/help/pay/personal-offer.html

If it is outside of Ebay, proceed with extreme caution. :eek:

• Members

Use whatever avenues Ebay provides. I bought an ArtCore out of an auction from a dealer and it got to me with a huge crack in the neck and the binding separating all the way around the head stock joint. Basically it was completely unusable. I got a full refund after a month of haggling but I won't do that again.

They made a point of telling me I had no recourse through Ebay. It pays to know the rules and use them to your advantage. It almost cost me a couple hunski. Good luck

dp

• Members

I checked it out. The seller says he won't accept Paypal. I have a major problem with anyone who won't accept Paypal. I will not deal with them for any reason at all. When one refuses to accept Paypal it is, to my mind and in my opinion, the same as announcing that one is a crook.

• Members

Originally posted by guitarNed

I checked it out. The seller says he won't accept Paypal. I have a major problem with anyone who won't accept Paypal. I will not deal with them for any reason at all. When one refuses to accept Paypal it is, to my mind and in my opinion, the same as announcing that one is a crook.

That is an absurd generalization.

I have made many excellent transactions with "PayPal only" sellers, and I ONLY pay by Money Order.

I do this by establishing a correspondence in which I explain my earnest desire to purchase the item, point out my impeccable feedback as a buyer, and explain that I will NOT use PayPal.

If there is a great item listed at a very low price by a seller with 100% positive feedback on many sales, and you write it off because of "PayPal only", you may be shooting yourself in the foot. ;)

EDIT: I'm bass-ackwards :o . Never mind...:rolleyes: .

:p

• Members

Uhhh... Ovation 4861? Don't got one of those. My acoustic is an Alvarez-Yairi DY51 from 1985, which I indeed do like.

Regarding Paypal, I don't mind that. I don't take Paypal either, because I want my cash immediately. If you pay via postal money order and don't get the goods, you have protection.

Archived