Wilkinson tremolo vs. Floyd Rose

Sekator

• Members

It's more of a contender to the vintage style 6 screws on a strat. i've never got those to float and stay in tune, but the wilkinsons have worked well. Could work better with a locking nut, although it might be alright with rollers, the guitars I have with them are all trad. style nuts, and the strings still stick a bit.

• Members

depends how much abuse you like to give the trem.....

Wilkinson trems hold tuning pretty well, but not as well as a Floyd Rose. The Floyd will take much more abuse, such as dive-bombing so the strings hang loose from the guitar, or pulling up to raise the pitch by 5 notes.

• Members

I have a vintage Gotoh/Wilkinson and the thing holds tune very well as long as you have a slippery nut such as graphite or slipstone.

I just wish I could find a replacement tremolo arm for the thing with the thickness of a Floyd tremolo arm. The Wilkinson arm is dinky.

• Members

Originally posted by Central Scrutinizer

depends on what you're using it for. if its just a light flutter every so often, i think the wilky is the best option out there. if you're doing crazy {censored}, then the floyd will not disappoint. you have to determine what's right for you.

Couldn't have said it better myself, except that you can do more than a light flutter with it, but I wouldn't suggest one if you go crazy on the bar all the time.

Also, the Wilkinson works best with either a roller or graphite nut and string trees.

• Members

Wilkinsons are easier to use than Floyds. Easier to intonate etc. As already mentioned, they don't take quite as much abuse as a Floyd but they do stay in tune quite well with a well made nut (roller, graphite or some other slippery material). On most guitars they are not routed for as much up pull as Floyds.

As much as I dislike trems, I find myself using the Wilkinson on my Yamaha Pacifica more than I do the Floyd on my Ibanez RG.

Archived