Strat pickup position/resistance

tubehead

• Members

Please help me with positioning the pickups on a project strat. I have 3 G&L Legacy p'ups that multi meter at 7.32k, 7.29k and 6.70k. I am assuming the hotter pick up goes in the bridge, with the 6.7 at the neck? Also, are these ratings pretty normal for a vintage sound? Finally, do pickups have a tendency to lose their k 'strength' over time? I have a 10 year old Tele Texas Special neck p'up that registers 8.96 now but the new ones claim to be 9.5.

Thanks!

• Members

I just got through working on a G&L Legacy (it had a serial number that began with "CLF")

This was the respective resistances and positions:

Neck=7.15K

Middle=6.74K

Bridge=7.06K

Normally, I would have expected the higher resistance pickup to be in the bridge, I don't think they quality controlled it that precisely (there isn't that much difference between 7.15K and 7.06K)

It is important that you keep the reverse wound/reverse magnetic polarity pickup in the middle position, to allow for the # 2 & #4 switch positions to be humcancelling.

Yes, in my opinion, those resistance were chosen to reproduce a classic vinatge Strat sound.

The guitar I was working on had only a small bit of aluminium-foil (on the underside of the pickguard, beneath the controls) for shielding-no conductive paint or foil in the pickup/control cavities or foil under the pickguard around the pickups. It was a very noisy guitar.

Archived