Quality control on Gibson SG Juniors...

geek_usa

• Members

I've been wanting to get one of these for quite a long time. I recently bought an Epi SG Junior that I was less than pleased with. Never stayed in tune, intonation was horribly off, and the neck really didn't feel great at all.

I've played Gibson SG Jrs with the same problem. However a few months ago I went to a local guitar shop and played the most beautiful Gibson SG Junior I have ever laid hands on in my life. It was from 1993, and had the kluson tuners (not the dinky white knob ones), and played like a dream. It had a slight tuning issue with the E string, but I could handle that. Unfortunately they had the price tag set at $695 and weren't going to budge.

I almost wish I had picked it up because I have never played an SG Junior that was that nice. I had plugged it into a Marshall JCM2000. I ejaculated in my pants when I heard that tone (not really, but it was dead seriously awesome).

So, how often is it that you find a good quality Gibson SG Junior? What years are the most consistent in these finds?

~ Jared :cool:

• Members

I have found Gibson quality to be inconsistent in general, but especially on the lower cost models. I feel the best Juniors are the original ones from the '60s! The one you played was from a short run from 1991-1994. I have one from 2000 in Pelham Blue, that has little finish flaws all around the edges, the figerboard dots are crooked, and it has the "dinky white knob" tuners. On mine, these tuners are identical to the Gibson Deluxe Kluson style, but with period appropriate buttons. They are not great tuners anyway, but work for now. I will eventually replace them with Gotoh locking types, with little chrome buttons, that have the same footprint.

This guitar rips! After a fret level and re-dress, and the installation of an intonatable bridge, it is one of my favorites. My understanding is, that it was a "sample color" version from right before they re-released the SG Juniors, which explains the unusual color. I have tried some of the recent ones, and havent found one off the rack that had much to offer, just like mine was before working on it. Maybe if GC actually tended to their inventory I would find a winner! As these have always been budget Gibsons, expect to tweak one a little to get better performance.

Bottom line for me is, even with some shoddy finish work, mine sounds excellent, resonates well, and looks like a 40 year old guitar that I cannot afford! The "One" could be from any period, or not even look the best, but you will know when it is "The One".

• Members

Originally posted by geek_usa

So, how often is it that you find a good quality Gibson SG Junior? What years are the most consistent in these finds?

~ Jared
:cool:

since they are no longer in production and rather difficult to find a NOS one, its kinda dependant more on the condition the previous owner(s) left it in...

Archived