What neck problems can be fixed?

Fear My Potato

• Members

What's the deal with neck issues? Splitting and wood damage like that aside, what kinds of warping can be corrected by a luthier? I have a strat with a bowed neck between the first and seventh or so frets and I'm wondering if I should let this old thing just die or keep it alive. So how simple is this sort of thing?

• Members

If it's a simple rise in the fretboard, the neck can be planed straight & re fretted. If its something that just keeps getting worse, theres a good chance the neck has other problems. It might be cheaper to buy a replacement neck.

• Members

Originally posted by docjeff

I'm constantly amazed at what really good luthiers can do. Is this a really special strat that you want to keep original?

I'd prefer to yeah, it's got sentimental value and isn't worth the cost of getting a new neck on it. It's not a vintage Strat or anything, but it's old nonetheless and has been with me a long way. I really like the way it plays and feels and always have. How much does it cost to get it replaned and refretted generally, plus a setup and new set of strings maybe?

Archived