slapnutz

• Members

It took a while but it was worth it.

I picked up a Eminence V12 specially designed at 4 0hms for

a Pritchard Dagger amp.

Man what an ridiculous improvement. More volume, more bass

more everything. Awesome tone.

It still has the original Fender tubes. I'm wondering what

difference a tube upgrade would make. Would I notice it or am I getting all this amp can give. I would like some more overdrive.

Anyway

Tube suggestions? Where to buy?

Where to buy gold grill cloth

• Members

Nice job. I have been plugging my Vibro Champ into a 1 x 12 cab loaded with a Weber VST Silver Bell Ceramic. It's an amazing amp with the right speaker.

I used a Torres Engineering upgrade kit when I changed the caps. It really bightened up the sound and gave the amp a kick in the ass.

I've bought supplies and parts from this company. They should have the grill cloth that you need--but gold is not the easiest to find.

http://www.guitar-parts.com/

Edit: They do have a light brown basket weave grill cloth in the Marshall section that might look nice. Or how about a vintage brown Vox diamond grill cloth?

I also noticed under fender amp parts a gold grillcloth. Just the ticket perhaps.

• Members

Originally posted by slapnutz

Thanks Doc

Is that all you did was a cap job, no tube changes?

I found an old Magnavox record player with 6V6 tubes at a garage sale ($5:-). Tested the tubes...they were like brand new. I installed one in my Vibro Champ along with some NOS 12AX7's that I got from Doug's Tubes.

http://www.dougstubes.com/

I also put a Jensen 4 ohm alnico 8" speaker in the cab, but, as you discovered, this 6 watt wonder works best with a 4 ohm 12 incher.

• Members

Yeah I made it myself. I kept all the dimensions of the original

except the Height which I increased by 4"

Worked like a champ (pardon the pun)

I used particle board. I know everyone thinks plywood is better

but part board accepts adhesives much better than plywood

or MDF. A glued joint is a hundred times stronger than a fastened one. Plus it's alot cheaper.

It was pretty simple except for the upholstery. Much respect to anyone who can do that with professional results> It aint easy

• Members

Originally posted by docjeff

I found an old Magnavox record player with 6V6 tubes at a garage sale ($5:-). Tested the tubes...they were like brand new. I installed one in my Vibro Champ along with some NOS 12AX7's that I got from Doug's Tubes.

http://www.dougstubes.com/

I also put a Jensen 4 ohm alnico 8" speaker in the cab, but, as you discovered, this 6 watt wonder works best with a 4 ohm 12 incher.

Those magnavoxes can be modded into Fender Deluxe style franken-conversions.

If you like a single 12" with a Champ, you should try a 4 x 10" cab! :D

• Members

Originally posted by slapnutz

Anyway

Tube suggestions? Where to buy?

Where to buy gold grill cloth

If you are looking for an intelligent discussion of tubes, try here:

http://fenderforum.com/forum.html?message_area_number=22

Some real-live tube gurus post there.

My personal preferences for Champs and V-champs lean to NOS and good used vintage tubes: RCA, GE, Tung-Sol are excellent USA tubes. Telefunken, Amperex-Bugleboy, and Mullard are benchmark gold standard Euro tubes (priced accordingly :eek: ). Military JAN Phillips are also excellent, and durable.

Keep in mind that you can swap related tubes in the pre-amp with impunity: 12ax7, 12ax7a, 7075, 12az7, 12ay7, 12au7, 12bz7, 5751, 6681, 7382, 7494, 7729, and maybe some others all have their own gain factors and tonal characteristics.

My favorite output tubes for the Champ are the vintage RCA and TungSol tubes.

Archived