Fernandes FR40

atimoc

• Members

Music123 has a $200 closeout for these: http://www.music123.com/Fernandes-FR40-i144956.music

FR40TRQsupa.jpg

FR40TBKsupa.jpg

Made in China, Japanese release model only.

Binding: Top

Body: Alder

Bridge/Tremolo: Gotoh dual pivot tremolo system (smoke chrome)

Controls: Volume, Tone, 5-way blade switch

Fingerboard: Rosewood

Frets: 24

Inlays: Dot position inlays

Machine Heads: Gotoh tuners (smoke chrome)

Neck Joint: Bolt on

Neck Material: Maple

Pickguard: None

Pickups: Fernandes Humbucker/Single/Single

Anyone played one? The bridge doesn't look like a Floyd, more like a Strat-style trem, which would be very nice. But what does "dual pivot tremolo system" actually mean? I'd also be interested in the neck joint and upper fret access.

Thanks

• Members

I tried a few of those when I was in Japan and they were completely toneless planks, quite thin and weak sounding.

They're decently put together and somewhat good looking, but that's about it.

• Members

Originally posted by LaXu

I tried a few of those when I was in Japan and they were completely toneless planks, quite thin and weak sounding.

They're decently put together and somewhat good looking, but that's about it.

Was the unplugged sound hideous too, or are just the pickups bad? Do you remember what the heel was like?

This is the only guitar I've seen that has 24 frets, a H/S/S pickup config and, as georges pointed out, a Wilkinson-style trem (not counting Carvins and other custom guitars). I wouldn't mind changing the pickups if I could get an otherwise half-decent guitar with the features stated above.

• Members

Originally posted by atimoc

Was the unplugged sound hideous too, or are just the pickups bad? Do you remember what the heel was like?

The acoustic sound was equally uninspiring. Overall the ones I tried just sounded dead, plain and simple. If I remember correctly the heel was a contoured type.

• Members

Originally posted by LaXu

The acoustic sound was equally uninspiring. Overall the ones I tried just sounded dead, plain and simple. If I remember correctly the heel was a contoured type.

Alright, thanks for the info. I may still have to consider it because of the lack of guitars with aforementioned specs. $200 is dirt cheap, even with shipping.

Archived