whats this carvin worth?

FWAxeIbanez

• Members

a while back I picked up a Carvin 12 string electric guitar, it has switches up the ass, which I think are coil taps and a phase switch... two volume, two tone and a three way switch. I can't tell exactly what pickups its got, but they are Carvin active humbuckers

I'm thinking its a dc 120 pretty much... which sells for 949 bucks from the Carvin catalog, think I can get 600 for it with ohsc and all the goodies it shipped with? any Carvin nuts that could wager a guess?

• Members

In my experience, Carvins resale value is brutal. I have worked in several music stores over the years, and most Carvins end up selling used for about 50% or less than they sell for new. Certain older models command some money from Carvin collectors, but much of the public sees them as "that catalog company that sells stuff real cheap".

The quality is great, but it takes the right buyer and/or a really good price. We had a DC400 Anniversary with almost every possible option come through the shop. It would have sold for about $1200 from Carvin. It was like new, but sat, and sat with a price tag of $550. I told every customer what a great deal it was, but it took about 3 months to finally roll it at that price. Had the same issue with other Carvin guitars at different stores in town.

Might be a regional thing, and perhaps a more specialized item like a 12 string will bring more money. Thats my 2 cents, good luck!

• Members

My Ebay approach would be to start it at $9.99, and have a reserve price of what you really want to get for it. This will have a much cheaper listing fee(nice if it doesnt end up selling), and create some excitement with the bidders.

Whatever.... everyone does it differently, but any way you choose to list it, Ebay is a pretty good way to measure what people will pay for things, just make sure to ensure that you get enough out of it.

Archived