LTD EC-1000 or Schecter C-1 Classic?

mr2good

• Members

I am going to get my first electric setup because I am gigging now and no longer want to play only acoustic. I will be playing a lot of rhythm but also doing some solos as well. We play mostly covers now but are going to do originals in the future. I am going to get a tube amp (probably peavey classic 30) and really enjoy the classic rock/pink floyd style sounds.

After trolling around the elecric forums for a month I have decided that a high quality korean guitar with american pickups would fit my needs and my wallet.

This has lead me to the ESP LTD EC-1000 and the Schecter C-1 Classic.

EC-1000 has Seymour Duncan JB/'59, Set neck construction, 24.75" scale, 3 way toggle,3 knobs, while the C-1 has the JB/Jazz combination, neck through construction, 25.5" scale, 5 way toggle, 2 knobs. Both have tone pros locking bridge but I think only the ec-1000 has earvana nut. I don't really know what tone pro locking bridge is or earvana nut, are they legititamate features or just cool names?

I havent played either because I can't find any to play locally. I prefer the look of the EC-1000, but won't let the sway me away from a better guitar.

Which guitar do you think is right for me? Make some reccomendations if you have any.

Thanks,

Matt

• Members

I have a C-1 Plus that I put the JB/Jazz combo into and I have to say it is a pretty mean sounding guitar. That Jazz pup is THE best neck pup going...bar none....good for rythm I would say. I don"t know, I like the C-1 classic better myself but they are both good guitars.

• Members

I'd go with the ESP LTD EC1000 with Seymours (amber sunburst only choice. $735) or the EC400 which has the active emg 81's set $595. Or the EC2005 which has the active emg 81/60 set for $629. Over the Schecter mainly cause that just vol, tone, 3 way toggle. Whereas the ESP's have vol, vol, tone, 3 way toggle. Cause rather likes the tone shapeing extras of seperate vols to blend pups as desired.

• Members

Originally posted by Darkstorm

I'd go with the ESP LTD EC1000 with Seymours (amber sunburst only choice. $735) or the EC400 which has the active emg 81's set $595. Or the EC2005 which has the active emg 81/60 set for $629. Over the Schecter mainly cause that just vol, tone, 3 way toggle. Whereas the ESP's have vol, vol, tone, 3 way toggle. Cause rather likes the tone shapeing extras of seperate vols to blend pups as desired.

Thanks for the replies fellas.

Ya, I'm staying away from the EC-1000 with the EMG pickups, I understand they are geard towards the distortion/metal side.

I definately like the extra vol. knob on the ec 1000. Is the neck through set up a lot better than set neck construction?

Is there a big difference between the Jazz and the '59, what kind of styles are they geard towards?

just asking some questuions of the top of my head. Let me hear some more opinions.

• Members

I would go with the EC1K. I`ve owned mine for almost three years and it`s still my fave. I was so impressed with it that I went out and bought another LTD Deluxe series guitar(Viper 1K). That`s the only time I`ve ever repeated with a certain brand name.

The LTD Deluxe series guitars are feature for feature, the best mid-range guitars out there. The fit and finish is superb. The hardware and electronics are top shelf. And the playability is butter smooth. They are truly pro level guitars. Especially considering their sub-$1,000 price range.

Eric

• Members

I have had my amber EC-1000 for 6 months. I love it. It is a big step up from my Peavey Predator and Peavey Raptor Plus.

The tone from the JB/59 pups are what I like. I don't believe I would like the EMG's ...classic rock and blues tones for me please.

I enjoy the lack of mud in my chords compared to my Peavey's.

The Earvana nut compensates for string pressure that you apply to open chords. I think it works, although I must play a first position D chord very lightly or it is "off" intonation.

• Members

Originally posted by DracoAran

I would probably take the EC-1000 just because the set neck is all mahogany and the scale is 24.75".

They're actually pretty different animals and it's just gonna come down to whatever feels more comfortable for you.

Since I can't pley either guitar, could you try and explain to me what makes these guitars very different animals? I understand the differences between the two, but am not sure how they relate to real world use.

Thanks for the opinions!

Matt

• Members

Ergonomically, the EC1000 is closer to a thin Les Paul or even an SG. It has the scale too. The pickup selector is a toggle switch at the upper horn. It is going to dig into your forearm. It's gonna have a certain balance, sort of diagonal. Upper fret access is gonna take time getting used to. It's gonna have more balls. The neck radius is gonna be easier on the wrist.

The Schecter will remind you of a cross between a PRS and a strat. It's not gonna dig into your forearm as much. It is slightly lighter (I have played both). The neck is a bit thinner and has better upper fret access. It has the longer scale. The tone will be a tad brighter though, because the pickups are mounted on the maple neck-through and they're gonna pick up those vibrations. Plus, the Duncan Jazz will always be brighter than a 59. It's gonna balance more horizontally. The pickup selector is next to your control knobs.

Both guitars have the right stuff, and they cater to different players to an extent.

If I had to pick, I would go with a Dean Hardtail :)

• Members

Originally posted by DracoAran

If I had to pick, I would go with a Dean Hardtail
:)

Right on, that guitar is the sleeper of the century. A friend has 3 of the Hardtail Selects (financed by selling off his PRS) and they are just killer guitars. However if I had to choose between the Schecter and the LTD. I would go with the Schecter, I just like the superstrat body style, and I don't like the horn on the EC1000. I would play both on the bridge mainly and the JB is common on that position to both. Of course, both have too much Bling IMHO which is why I would get the C1+ and put in my own JB/59 combo.

• Members

well....like I said earlier my C-1 Plus has the JB/Jazz combo and in no way would I say it is bright.....it is actually kind of dark and menacing, hehe. My Epi Elitist LP is WAY brighter thean my schecter but I like brightness so its all good. I would take the schecter but it really comes down to personal preference.....they are both very good guitars.

• Members

Originally posted by Bruce Bennett

having worked on both...

Schecter ... hands down.

better everything, and in all departments.

They look pretty similar on paper and they have the same pickups. Are you mainly reffering to the overall build quality of the Schecter being better, or is it superrior in sound as well?

I'm headed to Guitar Center to try some schecters, they probably won't have a nivce one with Duncans though.

Thanks for the opinions.

Archived