Ok so why can't I sell my Alleykat?

batotman

• Members

I know its hard to start these threads and not come off as SPAM at the same time but I'm feeling like ebay may be the ticket if I don't get some pointers here. Price seems pretty fair, guitar is pretty damn good lookin, description seems ok?

Epiphone Alleykat

-Classic 57 and a NY mini hum.

-Also included is the $100 Alleykat hardshell. $399 Shipped!

-Barely even played, even includes hangtags

-Slightly larger than an LP and very lightweight

-2004 model, vintage sunburst (discontinued)

-MF sells this guitar for $499 + $100 for case

IMG_1496.jpg

6abd4d5a.jpg

effb871c.jpg

Pointers????

• Members

100 dollar difference is that much. why go through the hassle of getting it from you when they can get a new one, and return it if htey dont like it?

as well, its an epiphone.

and theres the, if its so great, why you selling it. Oh? you just bought it to sell it? Well i as a customer will go to an official source for returns and warranties.

that mini humbucker doesnt help either. i liked the guitar ,but didnt like the fact that i couldnt put a HB in the neck if i wanted to.

• Members

Actually its a $200 difference on basically a new guitar. If you remember I got the deal of the century and I'm basically selling this for what I paid (possibly a few bucks less). I bought it cuz I got it for a steal. Its quite nice with an excellent comfy neck (wish my agile had that neck!).

I'm selling it because its not METAL!!!!! :D Nah, I'm just not into the hollowbody thing and prefer LP copies that weigh a ton and put high output SD's in.

• Members

Put it on Ebay with a BIN of $399 and a reserve of $350.

Say that if the buyer uses the BIN you'll throw in the case and shipping for free.

If nobody uses BIN and it reaches the reserve, tell the buyer you'll sell him the $100 new case for $50.

Exploit the fact that MF is selling them for $499 with NO case and the fact that it is still new and a "rare" dicontinued color.

People want to think they're getting something free and need to act quickly to get it.

• Members

Originally posted by pete n.

Say that if the buyer uses the BIN you'll throw in the case and shipping for free.

If nobody uses BIN and it reaches the reserve, tell the buyer you'll sell him the case for $50.

I dunno. The case actually has pretty damn good resale value as it fits a ton of models (wildkat, flamekat, alleykat, dearmonds, squier M-70, squier m-77). :D

• Members

If nobody uses BIN and it reaches the reserve, tell the buyer you'll sell him the case for $50.

thats one of the smartist things ive read all day..... ive only been awake an hour but still, smart.

• Members

Here's an idea...that "steal" was posted on this here message board, as well as several others when it was still available from Musician's Friend. Everybody who wanted one probably bought one at that time. Therefore, the people who you're trying to sell to probably weren't really that interested in it in the first place, and especially not if the price hasn't dropped from the internet price.

• Members

Originally posted by batotman

I dunno. The case actually has pretty damn good resale value as it fits a ton of models (wildkat, flamekat, alleykat, dearmonds, squier M-70, squier m-77).
:D

But either way you still get your asking price. If you sell without the BIN you can still charge shipping.

Think about the deal on your Tokai and my Dillion. Both of them were "use the BIN and get free case & shipping".

We fell for it, right?

• Members

But either way you still get your asking price. If you sell without the BIN you can still charge shipping.

Think about the deal on your Tokai and my Dillion. Both of them were "use the BIN and get free case & shipping".

We fell for it, right?

LOL yeah we didn't fall for it though, they fell for selling it to us cheap though! :D

Well I guess you guys have made some good points, I will put it on ebay in the next few days when I can get more pics!

Thanks.

• Members

It just seems like some of the Squier models have a hard time selling these days for a reasonable price.

I was snooping around EBay and there are some other Alleykat sellers facing the same problem.

There is a sunburst Alleykat with a starting price of $285, and no bids yet. A sunburst Alleykat (with older hard case) with a BIN price of $379, and no bids yet.

I was following a Translucent Black (shown below) Alleykat, with a nice hard case. There is only one day left on the auction, and so far the high bid is only $233. :confused:

alleykatblack.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by OldFenderGuy

It just seems like some of the Squier models have a hard time selling these days for a reasonable price.

I was snooping around EBay and there are some other Alleykat sellers facing the same problem.

There is a sunburst Alleykat with a starting price of $285, and no bids yet. A sunburst Alleykat (with older hard case) with a BIN price of $379, and no bids yet.

I was following a Translucent Black (shown below) Alleykat, with a nice hard case. There is only one day left on the auction, and so far the high bid is only $233.
:confused:

whole buch of supply and not a whole lot of demand

• Members

Originally posted by rocknrao

Here's an idea...that "steal" was posted on this here message board, as well as several others when it was still available from Musician's Friend. Everybody who wanted one probably bought one at that time. Therefore, the people who you're trying to sell to probably weren't really that interested in it in the first place, and especially not if the price hasn't dropped from the internet price.

Yep.

Batotman promoted the sh*t out of these when MF was blowing them out. In doing so, he pretty much dug his own hole for resale on this forum, on several counts: 1. If they were so great, why is he selling his? 2. Those who wanted already bought. 3. Personal used equipment is a much tougher sell than factory new from an authorized dealer.

But, since BATotman is my friend, I'll suggest he consider Craig's List in likely markets, eBAY as rec'd above with the $350 reserve and $399 BIN, classifieds here (it only takes one buyer to come along), and classifieds at FDP.

I have one just like the one in the pic, and I like it well enough to hang onto it for now. It's pretty, well-made, easy to play, and the pups are quite decent (not $300 PAFs, but decent).

$399 with case in near-mint is a very fair price. They might be compared to the DeArmond M-77 (chambered) for quality, and $399 with case would also be fair there. But...market is supply/demand driven, and now may not be the time.

• Members

Well the closed sales have come up in the last month but yeah still alot of them on there. However the VSB's seem to be selling for a bit more than the CSB. Currently listings don't mean much really (except for BIN prices and feedback ratings) as people seem to bid the {censored} outta stuff at the last minute.

Here are the 5 closed sales in the last month.

$449 Shipped w/case VSB

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33037&item=7328599345&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

$440 Shipped w/case VSB

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33037&item=7327913912&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Now for the CSB's

$380 Shipped w/case CSB

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33037&item=7330204537&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

$341 Shipped w/bag CSB

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33037&item=7328888081&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

$335 Shipped w/case CSB

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33037&item=7331219902&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

• Members

I was thinking about selling mine also.Just not what i wanted i guess. I was going to wait a while as it seems to soon after the sale to get a good price. i would be willing to trade for a good condition MIM Strat or Tele.

• Members

Originally posted by batotman

Well the closed sales have come up in the last month but yeah still alot of them on there. However the VSB's seem to be selling for a bit more than the CSB. Currently listings don't mean much really (except for BIN prices and feedback ratings) as people seem to bid the shit outta stuff at the last minute.

Here are the 5 closed sales in the last month.

$449 Shipped w/case VSB

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33037&item=7328599345&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

$440 Shipped w/case VSB

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33037&item=7327913912&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Now for the CSB's

$380 Shipped w/case CSB

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33037&item=7330204537&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

$341 Shipped w/bag CSB

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33037&item=7328888081&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

$335 Shipped w/case CSB

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33037&item=7331219902&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

You have little to lose by waiting for someone to meet your price. :cool:

• Members

MF flooded the market when they blew 'em out for 299$ The reason they did that is because they couldn't sell them at regular price. I would let them lay low for a while until it isn't so fresh in everyone's mind, then maybe you can move them.

• Members

I don't think ANYBODY is paying 499.00 for those, case or no. I paid 299.00 for mine and had to swap out the pickups and pots to get it to sound decent. Bought a 25.00 gig bag and I'm happy.

Good luck selling them at your price but come on..100.00 for a case? GC sells decent hardshell cases for 70.00!

• Members

Originally posted by guitarcapo

I don't think ANYBODY is paying 499.00 for those, case or no. I paid 299.00 for mine and had to swap out the pickups and pots to get it to sound decent. Bought a 25.00 gig bag and I'm happy.

Good luck selling them at your price but come on..100.00 for a case? GC sells decent hardshell cases for 70.00!

I am not sure you even read the thread? :confused:

Archived