Strat for Country?

bullpencoach

• Members

Well, maybe more alt-country. Looking for feedback on the best ways to give a Strat a more full-bodied country sound, without actually switching over to a Tele or a Nashville Tele. Most of my twang is in the playing and phrasing, and I'd like to get a Strat. Any mods you guys can recommend?

Tex-Mex pickups, or are they too hot? Ash body instead of alder? I like the Lite Ash Strat, but the neck might be a bit thin for my liking. G&L Tribute Legacy?

Thanks

• Members

Strats with vintage pickups work just fine for country: 50's, 60's, alt., country-rock, what have ye.

That said, my favorite country Strat at the moment is loaded with Tom Anderson stacked humbuckers. They do quiet and clean, the bridge twangs like crazy but also settles down depending on pick attack, AND they respond to pedals and effects beautifully. Played naked, they do a pretty damn good vintage impersonation without the noise, MUCH better than Fender Vintage Noiseless (which kinda suck).

For country rock that crosses that greasy line into Southern-fried rock, I prefer my Strat loaded with Pete Biltoft's Strat-sized P-90s...fine, fine handmade boutique pups for about a hundred bucks a set.

These are they:

Mandolin.jpg

• Members

and also, on a strat, i like using the middle pup alone for most of the honky stuff i play. its fat and not too trebly.

you might get your kicks from that pup alone.

ill have to see how the stelly is treating me when i install it.

• Members

Get yourself a Keeley Katana Clean Boost....good enough for Brent Mason = good enough for you. Seriously, it takes a strat into a stunning country sound that is clean with just a very small hint of breakup but super fat and full sounding. Of course it sounds even better with a Keeley comp in there too.

• Members
Originally posted by jerry_picker

Stelly?

Why not a Nashville Tele? Nice guits, those.
:cool:

strats are my favorite guitars, and i already have a good one. the only thing i wish it had was a tele bridge pup.

i have a rio grande tallboy in all 3 spots, and the bridge is quite measly when compared even to a mediocre tele bridge pup.

i thought about the nashville, and tried them in stores. they all had lousy necks. got unlucky, so that turned me off a little.

i bought a tele last week, and after playing it for a week straight, i realized that the only sound i liked was the bridge. i liked the other 2 sounds, but i liked my strats versions better. so i didnt feel it was wise to spend 300ish dollars just for that one bridge sound, if i could get what i want with a special pick up.

i like a teles a lot though. next time, when i have a little more disposable cash, ill just have the one just to have one. theyre a lot more rock and roll than a strat to me. i liked what it did.

• Members

Originally posted by Europa760

strats are my favorite guitars, and i already have a good one. the only thing i wish it had was a tele bridge pup.

i have a rio grande tallboy in all 3 spots, and the bridge is quite measly when compared even to a mediocre tele bridge pup.

i thought about the nashville, and tried them in stores. they all had lousy necks. got unlucky, so that turned me off a little.

i bought a tele last week, and after playing it for a week straight, i realized that the only sound i liked was the bridge. i liked the other 2 sounds, but i liked my strats versions better. so i didnt feel it was wise to spend 300ish dollars just for that one bridge sound, if i could get what i want with a special pick up.

i like a teles a lot though. next time, when i have a little more disposable cash, ill just have the one just to have one. theyre a lot more rock and roll than a strat to me. i liked what it did.

My bass player has a MIJ Nashville with Texas Specials...fine, fine.

• Members

Originally posted by bullpencoach

Well, maybe more alt-country. G&L Tribute Legacy?

Thanks

Look at USED USA G&L Legacy's. They can be had for $475-600 in excellent condition, and are great buys IMHO.

Several recent threads have hashed out the Tribute vs USA G&L debate...my reading is that USA wins by a lot.

• Members

I like the Nasville Tele, but I like the weight and contours of the Strat. I get enough twang out of a Les Paul, so a Strat will be fine. Always good to get some best practices though, so thanks for all the great replies. I guess a beefier bridge pickup is a mod I'd look into, perhaps a stacked humbucker like Jerry Picker has, or a P-90. Or none, if I get what I want from the middle positions...!

• Members

How about maple vs. rosewood fretboard? I've been looking at both the Tribute Legacy Premium and HB Premium. The humbucker model comes only with a rosewood fretboard. I know many say the difference is miniscule, and honestly, I'm comfortable on both.

• Members
Originally posted by bullpencoach

What an underrated guitarist. I guess mainly because most of hits are vocal ballads, and don't show off the chops he has.

I'd say he is highly rated but (perhaps) little known, if the people that truly count do the rating. ;)

To be fair, he often plays one of these:
gill.GIF

• Members

Originally posted by Europa760

im gonna get a rio grande stelly this week. you can do something similar and just put a really hot strat single coil into the bridge.

or do what i do, and put a specially made tele pick up that fits into a strat.

I did the same thing. I ordered a set of Rio Grandes for my Strat. I ordered a Stelly for the bridge and Halfbreeds for the middle and neck. I also had them shield the pups and attach a bottom plate to the Stelly. I also had returned another guitar and had to wait for the credit to be added back to my card. I should be getting my Rios in a week or so. I'll let you know how they sound. It should be a good set up for me. I use the bridge pup most on a Tele and use the mid and neck pups more on a Strat so I think I will like it. I may wire it so I can combine the bridge and neck rather than bridge and middle.

I considered the Nashville Tele but I wanted a whammy bar though I don't use one heavily, but I like to use one a little for subtle phrasings on certain songs.

Tom Anderson makes a Hollow T Classic that is a Tele style body with the option of a whammy bar and with a Tele bridge pup and strat pups in the mid and neck. They are real nice guitars with great playability and with pretty nice stock pups, but they are pricey. Mine had the push/pull that would combine the bridge and neck which made a cool tone. They run about $2000. I wish I had never sold it. Now I am trying to build a guitar sorta like that but in a poor boy fashion. I don't have those kind of bucks to spend these days.

Archived