pro setup

musicofthemind9

• Members

A setup includes all the adjustments to get the best action and intonation from your guitar.

Adjust the neck (truss rod), adjust the bridge, nut, pickups etc. Plus set the intonation and install new strings. Cost will vary...I'd say $25-$40 depending on the tech.

• Members
Originally posted by musicofthemind9

what is the intonation?
:confused:

Its the relative tuning across the fretboard. Good intonation is when every note at every location on the fretboard is in tune. Intonation adjustments are made by moving the saddles on the bridge.

• Members
Originally posted by Jammer48

Cost will vary...I'd say $25-$40 depending on the tech.

I wish I could find someone around where I live to setup my guitars for $25. $40+ ($50+ for my Floyd Rose equipped guitars) seems to be the going rate here.

• Members

I'm amazed at how many players don't know about setups and the mechanics of a guitar. I'm not rippin anyone here at all. I've been a player for 30 some years and until recently , I never knew about that stuff. I was paying $65.00 for my setups with floyds. That included any fret dressings and such. I got interested and started building my own. But I really used to just take whatever I had and rocked out. I really enjoy building and working on them . I get a connection with the guitar live knowing that I set it up or built it. Kind of like a gearhead with a bitchin car Cruisin on a saturday night! Heres a few sites that can help . www.projectguitar.com , www.warmoth.com . I'm also amazed at how many brand new factory guitars have no setup on them at all. When I bought new guitars I always had them include a setup. At least intonation. How good can a new guitar be if it can't be tuned correctly?? Frets are a whole seperate issue. Not many brand new guitars are 100% leveled. I would hope a $3000.00 LP or PRS is leveled correctly. I bought an ESP/LTD and the frets were not level. I know thats not a high end guitar but years ago, I would have never thought to have it looked at. Especially if a guy wants super low action, that needs to be done. .

• Members

People!!!!!!!!!!! Taking your guitar to a "professional" and paying for a setup is like taking your car to the mechanic to have him fill it with gas.

5199_1lg.jpg
spend 20 bucks on a book like this and see how easy it actually is. (you will probably blow more cash than that before bedtime tonight) You can even find all you'll ever want to know on various guitar boards. it just takes a little time, and you'll find its easier than you could have imagined.;)

• Members

Originally posted by BootRoots

People!!!!!!!!!!! Taking your guitar to a "professional" and paying for a setup is like taking your car to the mechanic to have him fill it with gas.

Thank you for saying that. It always drives me crazy hearing people talk about having to take their guitar to somone and pay good money for something that every player should know how to do.

There's no magic involved, just a little basic knowledge. No one can setup a guitar to your personal preferences like you can.

• Members

Originally posted by Benz2112

Its the relative tuning across the fretboard. Good intonation is when every note at every location on the fretboard is in tune. Intonation adjustments are made by moving the saddles on the bridge.

It's physically impossible to get every note at every location on the fretboard in tune. I generally check intonation at the spots where I "live" on the neck when I play - for me, that's 3rd fret, 7th fret, and 12th fret. If I can play 4th intervals at the 12th fret and they're still in tune, that's good enough for me.

• Members
Originally posted by pete n.

Thank you for saying that. It always drives me crazy hearing people talk about having to take their guitar to somone and pay good money for something that every player should know how to do.

There's no magic involved, just a little basic knowledge. No one can setup a guitar to your personal preferences like you can.

Indeed. If you can operate a screwdriver, a guitar tuner and an Allen wrench, take measurements, and have patience, you can set up a guitar. I recommend Erlewine's "Guitar Player's Repair Guide" and the www.frets.com Web site as good reference sources.

Archived