Whats the difference between SG Standard and SG Special Faded?!

apostrophe

• Members

Ive been drooling over the Natural Burst SG Standard for quite some time now, although money as usual is tight. I really like the looks of the Brown Faded Special and according to Gibson's website, theyre almost identical except for the finish. But how could finish be the factor that makes it almost half as much as the Standard?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

PS. id love to see some pics too!

• Members

Originally posted by apostrophe

Ive been drooling over the Natural Burst SG Standard for quite some time now, although money as usual is tight. I really like the looks of the Brown Faded Special and according to Gibson's website, theyre almost identical except for the finish. But how could finish be the factor that makes it almost half as much as the Standard?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

PS. id love to see some pics too!

the QC on the fadeds is really hit or miss. you can definitaley find a good one, but don't just order one blindly. pick one out by hand and be prepared to play several.

• Members

Neck binding, fretwork, fingerboard wood, bridge pickup are all different. I've owned both. The faded was decent, the Standard was better. The Faded wood has a much different feel to it than you're probably used to. Some may like it, others probably won't.

• Members

I have to say I really don't like ny of the faded guitars (from anyone, not just Gibson).

I stopped buying new Fenders in 93 or 94 when they started giving their necks that odd faded finish.

It's all preference but the faded gibsons I have seen have been kinda junky.

• Members

Since Im so new to this Im not to keen on what all those differences are.

Whats the dif between and bound and unbound neck?

Whats the dif between covered and uncovered pu's?

Thanks guys!

a bound neck has binding around the edges of the neck where an unbound neck does not. Look at the pics of the guitars somewhere like gibson.com and you can see that. I pref the feel of a bound neck.

Covered pickups have a chrome cover on them and the STD has a different model bridge pickup. Both use the same model neck pickup.

• Members

Since Im so new to this Im not to keen on what all those differences are.

Whats the dif between and bound and unbound neck?

Whats the dif between covered and uncovered pu's?

Thanks guys!

Cosmetics mostly. A bound neck has a slightly different feel, but nothing major. It's just a preference issue. Applying binding does add to the price of a guitar. Pickup covers are mostly cosmetic also. The 490 in the faded is not quite as hot or aggressive as the 498 in the standard, but they're similar.

• Members

Originally posted by pete n.

I agree that the QC on the fadeds is spotty at best.

The faded SG's I've played had a neck like a tree trunk also. The standards have a much nicer profile for me.

My friend has one like a faded, I don't know the model. Its the same, just the finish is like a standard. had uncovered pickups and dots etc. The neck is massive though! Epi G400's are better for me than that. His didn't seem to well built either.

• Members

Originally posted by georges

My friend has one like a faded, I don't know the model. Its the same, just the finish is like a standard. had uncovered pickups and dots etc. The neck is massive though! Epi G400's are better for me than that. His didn't seem to well built either.

Special. I've got one. Great guitar. Do agree about the neck though. I've got an Epi 310, and I'd go with the Gibson.

Archived