Anyone Demo a Gibson Les Paul and Hamer Monaco Elite side by side?

Chorused Clean

• Members

Not side by side , no. I played a Hamer Monaco Elite a couple of weeks ago though and it was pretty nice. I played Gibson for about 10 years before I switched over to my Burny. Still have a Gibson Les Paul though.

The Hamer reminded me of my Burny as far as build quality is concerned but there were differences. It had a deeper set neck, the binding was different and it connected to the headstock differently. The neck seemed almost angular, as if it were a rounded off half-hexagon. Big neck on this one too. It felt different but nice. The pickups were good and most of all it was beautiful.

• Members

Hey its you again!:cool: Can you imagine from Floyds to Pauls!

Tell me sparky, would you say that the Hamer had more sustain because of the slightly different neck build? Also, did you find that that little exposed ledge in the upper horn adversely affects being able to play as fast up there? Thanks for your mini reveiw though...The Hamer Monaco is probably the only other guitar (for now at least, he he) that I'd seriously look into buying.

• Members

Now all we need is a Paul with a Floyd. ;)

It had excellent sustain as one would expect. The resonation was acceptable, on par with Gibson. The exposed ledge did feel different but it would just take some getting used to. None of the physical differences translated into huge differences in playability or sound IMO. The top on it was breathtaking, and a comparable Gibson would have cost more. I've also read good things about their stock pickups, which would be a big plus for me since I don't really like to change them out very much. Gibson pickups are good too though.

Really it's going to come down to preference of the slightly different styles on the same theme.

Archived