Van Halen Tone (Brown Sound)

jazzbo

• Members

According to the many people that I have let play my Krampe SLP 18, Olaf has nailed that sound perfectly!

Thanks to a wonderful person with great talent and a huge heart!

That's you Olaf!

Stephen

• Members

Originally posted by Lump

The POD xt has a patch titled Eruption that is in the ballpark for jamming on. It uses the marshall with the variax model. I don't know if that is a model in the pod, or if it's just the XT.

One odd thing I've found with the Pod is most of the patches have a flabby/farty low end. I've found that if you add a distortion pedal to the simulation it tightens it up. Doesn't have to be set high in the distortion catagory. I had a pod a long time ago and found the same issue. Since the Pod didn't have the footpedal options I actualy went and got one of the Boss Overdrives. It really helped tighten everything up and loose the flab.

Hope that helps.

Thanks.:)

• Members

You guys are so right about those tubes. BB King wouldn't have such a such ass tone if he was using a tube amp;) Really now tubes are not essential to good tone. Everyone has a preference, but a preference doesn't equal a universal law.

Max

• Members

Originally posted by maxnew40

You guys are so right about those tubes. BB King wouldn't have such a such ass tone if he was using a tube amp;) Really now tubes are not essential to good tone. Everyone has a preference, but a preference doesn't equal a universal law.

Max

sure it does, tubes are better

• Members

No problem bud, I figured someone should actually address what you were trying to figure out. Go with a marshall amp, try a bunch of different cabs sims, they make a huge difference. Ed's sound(at least to my ear) wasn't a ton of distortion. Well at least his old, brown tone wasn't. I noticed with my own primative recordings that it always sounds more distorted in playing the recorded part back, so you may want to set your distortion a little lower than you think it "should" be. Add in a delay. Ed on certain occassions would use a phaser (great effect when used in small doses). And if you get bothered by the flabby low end I mentioned, try an overdrive set low to tighten it up.

• Members

Originally posted by GCDEF

NO!!!

If it wasnt safe then how did eddie do it? I think you have to have the right amount of load so that the amplitude out doesnt blow what your plugging it into. It also has to be set so it doesnt clip. I wonder if this is another reason why he used the variac? he could adjust the voltage in also maybe that lowered the output as well? Its still a very monkey rigged setup

• Members

Originally posted by BowerR64

If it wasnt safe then how did eddie do it? I think you have to have the right amount of load so that the amplitude out doesnt blow what your plugging it into. It also has to be set so it doesnt clip. I wonder if this is another reason why he used the variac? he could adjust the voltage in also maybe that lowered the output as well? Its still a very monkey rigged setup

He used an output setting from the attenuator that was line-level, not enough to power speakers. Then he used a regular old solid-state power amp to boost the signal out of the head->attenuator->effects to drive his 4x10 cabinet.

So it went head->attenuator at -32 dB->effects->regular old power amp->cabinet.

The variac is intended to reduce fatigue on the tubes - they will compress at a lower input level with less chance of blowing I think.

• Members

The PODxt has a EVH patch (eruption I think) that is pretty convincing, maybe some tweaks to your 2.0 can yeild a convincing tone.. I cant see how a "Brown Sound" pedal in front of an amp is going to sound good. The "Brown Sound" is a dimed Marshall Super Lead, not a pedal in front of an amp.

• Members

Originally posted by jazzbo

He used an output setting from the attenuator that was line-level, not enough to power speakers. Then he used a regular old solid-state power amp to boost the signal out of the head->attenuator->effects to drive his 4x10 cabinet.

So it went head->attenuator at -32 dB->effects->regular old power amp->cabinet.

The variac is intended to reduce fatigue on the tubes - they will compress at a lower input level with less chance of blowing I think.

Right thats what the attenuator is right? it reduces a high output signal (speaker level) to a low level (line level) but back in the day (mid 70s) how did he know how much to cut the power? how did he know that the level he cut back with the attenuator was low enough to run threw the effects?

attenuator.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by Kevin_FL

The PODxt has a EVH patch (eruption I think) that is pretty convincing, maybe some tweaks to your 2.0 can yeild a convincing tone.. I cant see how a "Brown Sound" pedal in front of an amp is going to sound good. The "Brown Sound" is a dimed Marshall Super Lead, not a pedal in front of an amp.

humm.. Yet you think a POD is "pretty convincing"...:rolleyes:

The Brown Sound Pedal is about a specific Distortion CHARATERISTIC that, while was originally produced with an amp (and a pedal... MXR phase 90),.. is still achieveable with a pedal and a tube power amp. it's will show the same wave on an O-scope.

Very much like a POD does... only diff. is.. one is digital and the other analog.

• Members

He did tweak his pickups a bit back then, as well. Maybe investing in an "EVH" pickup from SD's custom shop (dubbed "evenly voiced harmonics") will get you pretty close with a good amp. If you're on a budget, get the SD Custom Custom--definitely will get you half way there. Then, start paying attention to all the amp advice. Without a decent axe that has the right pickup, it doesn't matter what kind of amp you have.

• Members

I've spent the last few years of my life reading in depth articles on amplifier electronics, hearing, psychoacoustics and EVH and I'm still not totally sure of what it is exactly he was doing.

You have all the Variac stuff, then things about how he set up dummy loads for the wrong impedances, offset his output stage by leaving one valve out, had the amp modded by Jose Arendondo...

There are a million and one alternatives to it. I think Eddie was at least partially successful in his efforts to keep people from directly copying him.

I don't want to sound like Eddie to be him, I just like the way his gear sounds and would like mine to be somewhere closer to that with perhaps some personal differences.

There's an extremely limited amount of genuine information about his amp. The closest I've got to seeing anything real he played through is a less than great picture that's meant to be of one of his Plexi's. It has Van Halen stamped all over the side of it in flight shipping letter format and the thing looks pretty beaten up.

I don't own a Plexi yet so don't have anything I can experiment on.

The only thing I have found to be a common factor throughout most of what I've read is that he always had the amps up extremely loud.

Apart from that, it's a lot of guesswork.

I'm planning to put my own Plexi together at some point in the near future and that'll give me a chance to start messing around with all these ideas that I've heard to see which is the most likely.

Buying a vintage Plexi to test the ideas would just be dumb. When he was playing through them they weren't vintage they were still new, or at least relatively new.

A vintage Plexi would cost a fortune, be more likely to be toasted when trying these ideas out and might never create a similar sound anyway.

40 years of use is going to put some serious wear and tear onto an already badly executed circuit, quality wise.

I don't think Eddie planned in any full on hardcore electronics way what he was doing with his gear. He applied a bit of thought and a certain attitude and just happened to get lucky I expect.

He'd do things like screw his pickups to the body of the guitar instead of the pickgaurd because it seemed like the right thing to do, so that they'd resonate with the guitar.

I can totally understand where he's coming from, a kind of fundamental coherency between the parts.

It probably makes little difference but if it also takes very little effort why choose the lesser option I guess.

• Members

Originally posted by acravero

He did tweak his pickups a bit back then, as well. Maybe investing in an "EVH" pickup from SD's custom shop (dubbed "evenly voiced harmonics") will get you pretty close with a good amp. If you're on a budget, get the SD Custom Custom--definitely will get you half way there. Then, start paying attention to all the amp advice. Without a decent axe that has the right pickup, it doesn't matter what kind of amp you have.

+1 for the SD EVH!

I bought one as well.

There was a lot of fussing around and waiting because I'm all the way over in England.

But as soon as I got it soldered in, hit the power and tried it out. I could instantly recognise the similar frequency spread and harmonic pattern.

If you have something like an early Marshall (The Plexis or JCM800s) the EVH wind is about the biggest step you can take closer to towards the sound. It's probably a good 50% of it all on it's own.

You'll really love it!

• Members

Line 6 Custom Tone has a ton of EVH tones to download. Some of them are really good. Don't listen to the tubers. (How is that analog computer working?)

I saw Eddie wbw the first album came out and he had about 6 Marshall stacks lined up behind him. Behind that were 6 huge wind machines blowing on the back of the heads to try to keep them cool. His effects were mounted in an old hollowed out bomb shell which he kept fiddling with. I didn't see any floor pedals.

Now that was his live rig. Good luck.

Wolf Marshall wrote extensively about his exact set up - live and studio - but any good amp and a MXR Phase 90 will get you in the ballpark. The guy I take lessons from uses a rack-mount power amp and effect unit (ART?), Marshall cab and a Strat with a SD JB in the bridge. Close your eyes while he's playing on stage and you'll think your listening to EVH - on a good night!

Archived