opinions on Kramer Ferrington wanted

thredlok

• Members

Danny Ferington makes killer guitars.

That being said, unless you want a prop for Mario Lopez to play on the beach at a Saved By The Bell reunion show it's probably one of the worst acoustic designs around.

I did a gig with a friend of mine who is a female singer. I showed up @ the gig (a one shot thing live) and she had told me she had a guitar for me to use. It was a Ferington. We played the song, I looked stupid, end of story.

• Members

Originally posted by bgmacaw

I've got one I bought back in '88. The good thing about it is that it has a 80's style Kramer shreder neck. The bad thing about it is that the sound it puts out sucks plugged or unplugged.

I tried one for about 3/4 of an hour and came to this same conclusion.

• Members

The above sums it up. I tried to use one a few years ago for one another guitarists demo that I was engineering and was totally unable to get anything that didn't sound simply awful. The body has all the lush the resonnance of a shoe box and the preamp/pickup combo was thin sounding garbage. No amount of eq or impedence matching made much of a difference. Skip it. We ended up using my Ovation and it sounded excellent straight to the board.

• Members

Originally posted by GretschGuy

If someone says an Ovation sounds better that pretty much sums it up!

I've fooled many people recording my Ovations with one channel straight to the board and a second channel with a pencil condenser aimed at the 12th fret, mixed to taste. Sounds much more expensive on tape than it is.

It's also fun doubling the parts I'm playing on the Ovation with my little Takamine parlor guitar.

• Members

Originally posted by GretschGuy

I know Ovations are expensive. I just don't like the way they sound.

Mine was reasonably cheap at $800-ish. Actually dumped my Larrivee in favor of it because frankly, even unplugged the Ovation sounded better.

Archived