Tokai Question

JcKerr

• Members

Hey just got a love rock off of ebay from Canada I was reading this site about love rock and it says that the made for canada models have maple necks... The auction I bought it from said Mohogany neck, what gives. Anyways, how big of a deal will it make either way? I was hoping for mahogany. Any info would be appreciated.

• Members

Originally posted by theyab

does it make any difference to the sound?

I've never done a back to back, but I would presume a maple necked LP would be much brighter in tone than a mahogany....

I'm not sure that I'd want to put myself out as being able to tell the difference, everything else being equal, though.

As has been said above, the Korean models use maple as it is cheaper (IIRC, Gibson did the same at one time and another with the LP Deluxes). The MIJ Tokais are faithful replicas of the Gibson originals and use the "correct" woods.

• Members

I bought a cherry sunburst from jsd guitar shack. ya know, I didn't give much thought to the fact that the neck was maple. it is impossible to see from the pics....but when you get it in your hands you can tell. the stain takes to the maple differently. my buddy sat down with the tokai and proclaimed that it was brighter...he liked it and i do too. the guitar is really nice and a great value. another poster remarked that you can always turn the tone pots down...and that does the trick. i would also agree with another poster that these MIK tokais are gonna give you about 95% of a real gibson les paul tone.
it only makes a difference if you want a correct spec les paul copy....play the guitar and enjoy it.

• Members
Originally posted by soulohio

i would also agree with another poster that these MIK tokais are gonna give you about 95% of a real gibson les paul tone.

These days, you are lucky if a Gibson Les Paul gives you 95% of a "real gibson les paul tone". :p

• Members
Originally posted by GuitarRules

Does anybody have any information or web sites in Canada where you can get a MIJ Tokai? I am interested in one......

If you want a true MIJ Tokai made to correct specs then you'll have to import one from a Japanese dealer.

If you want a MIK one.........;)

• Members
Originally posted by JSD

If you want a true MIJ Tokai made to correct specs then you'll have to import one from a Japanese dealer.

If you want a MIK one.........
;)

Or a European dealer.

Thank frick we're ahead on one tiny thing - I guess a "proper" Les Paul is the one thing that you in the US do have to pay twice what we do for ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by ned911

The standard MIK models have maple necks. The MIK Custom Shop and 2001 Limited Editions had mahogony necks.

And at least the standard models also have Nashville bridges and posts, i.e. they're not directly drilled into the top, but sit in extra bushings. Don't know for the Custom shop and Limited Editions (didn't even know that those existed).

• Members

Originally posted by batotman

I need a MIJ one of these days but holding out for a cool color thats not typical. Perhaps Edwards may be the route for me on that front.

Tokai has extended their available colors, you could e.g. check the Tokai UK site or the newer Tokai Registry catalogs for their names and/or abbreviations. I have the 2003-2004 catalog with three different shades of blue on Love Rocks (metallic blue, see-through dark blue and indigo blue), but as far as I remember those are too dark for your taste.

Archived