A cheap, toneful solution to EMGs?

Mr_GoodBomb

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by dot-dot-dot

I think you can run the 386-N4 variant on 18v, but you'd want to check the data sheet.

For variable gain, where you put the cap to boost the gain from 20 to 200, put a 5k pot in series with it (wired as a variable resistor). Just bear in mind that you
will
get clipping as soon as you go over about 30.

I'd also suggest (though some may disagree) that the 386 will work best with a small (under 50 ohms) resistor in series with the output - this limits the current it can drive and ensures you don't damage whatever you plug it in to. Standard guitar pots will be able to take the full output of a 386 just fine though.

Very good advice. The LM386 from Radio Shack is rated at 15 volts - you could do two "9volt" NiCad (which are really 7.2 volts, x2 = 14.4volts). I like the idea of the resistor to prevent draining the current. With this, you could then put the volume control "post-amp" like an EMG. You'd probably want to use 25K's as well if you do this.

Personally, I think a gain of 20 is perfect to give a little more punch for a solo.

• Members

Originally posted by DonP

Personally, I think a gain of 20 is perfect to give a little more punch for a solo.

I'd agree - besides, most guitar pickups have enough output to distort a 386 at a gain of 20. Might be worth putting the volume control first so you can reduce that, or just trimming the input a touch.

Archived