Goldtop & re-issue question body material?

robt57

• Members

Are the original goldtop all mahogany, with no maple cap?

If yes, is the p-90 mahogany the determining factor in the tone?

Is the Epiphone mahogany with an alder cap going to sound nothing like a gold top does?

Isn't there also a goldtop gibby with a maple cap, and is it not a P90 guitar ??

Thanks in advance!

• Members

Originally posted by catalinagoose

All Goldtops from day one had maple caps.

The Customs from the 1950s were all mahogany.

Right answer. Some years of Customs came with maple tops, but I don't know which years.

Originally, Les Paul wanted the first LP's to be all mahogany and the Customs to be "special" with the maple cap.

• Members

Originally posted by DonP

Right answer. Some years of Customs came with maple tops, but I don't know which years.

Originally, Les Paul wanted the first LP's to be all mahogany and the Customs to be "special" with the maple cap.

A traditionally-shaped LP (of any type) was not available from '61 to '67 (in '61 an '62, the Les Paul models were SG shaped, then renamed SG's in '63). When they brought back to LP-shaped LP Custom in 1968, it gained a maple cap. It has been standard on LP Customs ever since (though they have made several variations oand RI's without the cap).

-Y

• Members

Originally posted by hondro

i've heard thats why they were painted solid, so people wouldnt know that the guitar wasnt solid mahogany but had a cap, thats why the customs were more expensive, they were solid mahogany

That is more in-line with what I thought.

• Members

Originally posted by hondro

i've heard thats why they were painted solid, so people wouldnt know that the guitar wasnt solid mahogany but had a cap, thats why the customs were more expensive, they were solid mahogany

But the gold tops were painted also.

• Members

by that i mean, the goldtops were painted a solid color so people wouldn't see that the top was actually maple instead of mahogany, instead of a burst which was much more popular color. like the strat had a sunburst and any other guitar i can think of in that time period had a sunburst type paint job

Archived