Pointy 80's guitars, tell me about them. Post yours.

jason@amps

• Members

Hey all,

Well, I'm looking for a sweet 80's style shredder guitar with a Floyd Rose, S/S/H setup, neck through, 24 frets. I like the ESP Mirage or like Charvel model 6. For some reason I love the way these guitars look. Are there any other brands out there that were producing guitars like this so I can look out for them? Quality wise I am willing to pay more if it means getting a better guitar. Is there anything I should watch out for? If you got any pictures of your guitar post a-way, I want to see them!

Thanks a lot!

Jason

• Members

Originally posted by jason@amps

Hey all,

Well, I'm looking for a sweet 80's style shredder guitar with a Floyd Rose, S/S/H setup, neck through, 24 frets. I like the ESP Mirage or like Charvel model 6. For some reason I love the way these guitars look. Are there any other brands out there that were producing guitars like this so I can look out for them? Quality wise I am willing to pay more if it means getting a better guitar. Is there anything I should watch out for? If you got any pictures of your guitar post a-way, I want to see them!

Thanks a lot!

Jason

you just described about 80% of the guitars made during the 80s

• Members

Originally posted by DonP

P7240828.JPG
P7240829.JPG
P7240830.JPG

Needs a paint job.

I don't like H-S-S on my DK-2 - the middle single gets in the way of picking and doesn't bring anything to the table. I have a pair of J/C Fusions with H-S I like a lot more.

oh man, that could be a cool project. where'd you get it?

• Members

Originally posted by superpoo

oh man, that could be a cool project. where'd you get it?

1989 or 90 NAMM. Whoever ordered it wanted the crosses the other way, so they had to start over. ESP was just using it for a demo, and money talks...

George Lynch was there and I had him sign the inside of the trem cavity.

• Members

Originally posted by camelot

This is my sweet, sweet ESP Mirage custom. One of the very early made ones (serial is #1337), neck thru, "lawsuit" headstock, ESP pickups that sound fantastic and it sustains forever
:D
Paid $370 for it
:)

That's a killer deal. You can tell mine is a later model looking at the headstock.

• Members

Originally posted by camelot

This is my sweet, sweet ESP Mirage custom. One of the very early made ones (serial is #1337), neck thru, "lawsuit" headstock, ESP pickups that sound fantastic and it sustains forever
:D
Paid $370 for it
:)

Yeah, I want one! I hate you.:D

• Members

Hey, I have one of those! My fave guitar. Mines earlier #857 I think.

d2690607.jpg

Got it new in 87 when I was working in a music store. $1200 was my first loan ever.

Then:

KevAndPat88.bmp

Now:

e7a12487.jpg

Saw a used one just like mine for $675 at a Sam Ash a few months back....Shoulda bought it.

• Members

Originally posted by jason@amps

That model 4 is awesome!

Why thank you :) It has a Seymour Duncan TB10 FullShred in the bridge now. This thing screams. The Floyd though has standard spacing so the polepieces on the pickup are too far out :(

• Members

Originally posted by Kevman

Hey, I have one of those! My fave guitar. Mines earlier #857 I think.

Saw a used one just like mine for $675 at a Sam Ash a few months back....Shoulda bought it.

I love that guitar!

Did B.C. Rich or was anybody else coming out with guitars that had these features?

Jason

• Members

Originally posted by DonP

P7240828.JPG
P7240829.JPG
P7240830.JPG

Needs a paint job.

I don't like H-S-S on my DK-2 - the middle single gets in the way of picking and doesn't bring anything to the table. I have a pair of J/C Fusions with H-S I like a lot more.

I'm open to ideas of how you guys think I should have this painted.

• Members

My shredders:

Picture006.jpg

I love guitars of that era, that's when I started playing and I love the sound of a good shredder through a Marshall or Boogie. Just make sure you have nice jumbo frets for max effect. I am going to have the UV7 refretted with stainless stell 6100s before too long, since it does have a fair amount of playing time.

Late '80s/early '90s Charvels, Jackson and Ibanez guitars are a really good value on ebay now. The mid '90s "cheapo" Jackson/Ibanez guitars are crap, however. It was tough as hell to sell a shredder in the mid '90s Grunge Crapolution. :o

Archived