dont tell me you'd take a Les Paul over a Duo Jet

boy#152

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by boy#152

others have said as much:(

btw, Georgia Harrison used a Duo Jet also;) ..not just the Tennessee. said it was his fave axe.

:cool:

FWIW I've played a few gretsch guitars and I really liked them, but for the style of music I like to play they aren't really a priority for me to aquire.

I may get one when I'm rich and famous one day.;)

• Members

btw, Georgia Harrison used a Duo Jet also;) ..not just the Tennessee. said it was his fave axe.

Harrison's first Gretsch was a DuoJet.Just like most Gretsch owners, that one led to many more.

• Members

Originally posted by Sparky6string

The nice thing about being "{censored}in' stupid" is that there are more of us out there than the smart ones.
:p

That's a pretty deep, philosophical point you just made right there, knowingly or otherwise... :)

• Members

Harrison also said that his Gretsch-into-Vox tone was "awful", and he couldn't wait to switch to Ricks, Strats, and Les Pauls in the mid-60s.

• Members

Yet he did go back to the Jet for "Cloud Nine".

I think that right about that time Cream and Hendrix and others were changing the whole tone thing and George was bored with that clean ringing tone.

Certainly if you go back and listen to the earlier Beatles stuff the tone is anything but awful. Beautiful clear leads. OTOH, the stuff with the SG and the LP were far from tonal masterpieces(IMHO)

• Members

Originally posted by maccashash

Harrison also said that his Gretsch-into-Vox tone was "awful", and he couldn't wait to switch to Ricks, Strats, and Les Pauls in the mid-60s.

Voxs sound like ass, this is well known:)

• Members

Originally posted by Rick 381

Yet he did go back to the Jet for "Cloud Nine".

I think that right about that time Cream and Hendrix and others were changing the whole tone thing and George was bored with that clean ringing tone.

Certainly if you go back and listen to the earlier Beatles stuff the tone is anything but awful. Beautiful clear leads. OTOH, the stuff with the SG and the LP were far from tonal masterpieces(IMHO)

Oh, definitely. I loved his tone in the early days, but there was a quote in the Beatles gear book on how he was getting tired of that sound during the Rubber Soul period.

I also beg to differ on the last sentence. "Something" was done with the LP, right? As well as most of the White Album and Abbey Road.

• Members

What's well known is the VOX AC-30 is the finest amp ever built.

OTOH, at the end The Beatles were using some of the first SS amps built and while SS maybe finally coming into it's own today in 1964 they were not really good.

• Members

Originally posted by blackmonday

I have both, an LP standard and a Gretsch Silverjet. Both are very cool guitars. Some people like Mustangs, some like Camaros.

and both are wrong, because sport bikes are cooler (and faster) than both ;)

• Members

so what if George Harrison played a Duo Jet? Clapton used a Les Paul. Both of them used several guitars. If you think a Duo Jet is superior to a Les Paul, you're a {censored}ing idiot. If you think the Les Paul is superior to the Duo Jet, you're a {censored}ing idiot.

its one thing to like something more, but its another to present your opinions as facts.

take this {censored} to guitar.com

• Members

Originally posted by SupernovaN2310

so what if George Harrison played a Duo Jet? Clapton used a Les Paul. Both of them used several guitars. If you think a Duo Jet is superior to a Les Paul, you're a {censored}ing idiot. If you think the Les Paul is superior to the Duo Jet, you're a {censored}ing idiot.

its one thing to like something more, but its another to present your opinions as facts.

take this {censored} to guitar.com

I wholeheartedly agree.

• Members

Originally posted by Teleken

Me too - paid $1100 for mine and it was mint.

I actually bought my 6129 for under $800.00 with case and it was new at of all places Guitar Center. Here's the story that I was told...some guitarist who was signed overspent his budget....he special ordered this green sparkle top 6129 and couldn't pay for it. I walk in, see my buddy who was an assistant mgr and he turns me on to the Gretsch. I buy it. I'm happy. He's happy.:D

• Members

I played an old Duo-Jet and it had a top made of drum head, which gave it a little bit of a banjo-ish tone. That said, it had a remarkable, unique tone. I haven't tried a new one. I had a new R7 goldtop which sounded like *nothing*. I just bought a 1980 Yamaha Studio Lord (lawsuit era) which sounds a million times more like a vintage Les Paul, at about 1/4 the price. It's a real looker, too. It's a weird time to buy guitars. You really have to try a lot out. Most of my great sounding new guitars are budget models.

• 1 month later...

Archived