Anyone do business with Music 123 before?

Steve Matthews

• Members

I had a weak moment Monday and ordered an Epiphone '58 Korina Explorer, case, strap, couple string swings and a set of Fender Texas Specials for a tele.

In Washington, MF has to charge 8.3% sales tax, so I was saving that by going elsewhere. They were also about $23 bucks cheaper on the case and they matched MF's price on the pickups.

BUT!!!!

Their on-line system wasn't giving me the proper 10% discount on the accessories, the free shipping wasn't working right for all items as it should. So then I called in and was on hold for about 15 minutes before I just got cut off. Then I called back, was on hold for another 15-20 minutes for a sales guy to pick up. His entry got lost in his computer when he tried to enter it, so I had to repeat every thing. Then when we were done I said, "So will it ship out tomorrow?". And he said, "for regular ground, it probably will ship in about two weeks". :eek: :eek:

So then I went to Biz Rate and read some reviews for these dudes. To say the reviews were mixed, would be putting it kindly. Some orders went smoot but at least half the reviews were about late shipments, wrong shipments, being charged without receiving the goods, lack of support, etc. But then again, pissed off people are more likely to write a review than those people for whom the deal just went as it should.

Any thoughts or experiences to share.?????

I've been real happy with MF (except for the tax charge), American Musical Suppy, ZZ Sounds, Sam Ash, and Sweetwater, but my caution light is up for Music 123.

They said they would send me a confirmation e-mail, and I haven't even received that yet. (two days later)

• Members

I've done quite a bit of business with Music123.com. Pretty good outfit for the most part. Purchased my Ibanez, couple pedals, few pickups, etc. from them.

It takes them longer to get things here (I'm in NW Washington too) 'cause they're back East.

Their shipping department is a bit slow on the uptake as well. Generally 2-3 days to get something on the UPS/Fedex truck.

But to save sales tax and get free ground shipping (for the most part), it's more than worth it.

Never had any major gripes with them, they did ship me a UK power supply for an Electro-Harmonix pedal once. But the RMA process was pretty painless.

Overall I'd give them a 7 out of 10. Only because their phone people aren't quite as knowledgeable as some other online outfits and their shipping guys are rather slow.

I also do business with MF, SameDayMusic, and American Musical Supply. Whoever's cheapest ya know! :D :D :D;)

--Phrostbit

• Members

Yes. I got my gold Mexican 50th Anniv. Strat from them. I placed an order by phone, and the guy gave me a discount on the tweed case. I also got it before he said. He told me they were backordered or some {censored}, really can't remember, but I got it and the case in the same shipment on New Years Eve 2004. Nice guitar, nice deal, nice service.

I've had similar luck with MF and AMS.

I did put in Fralin Vintage Hots and upgraded the electronics on the Strat, though. Had to have the Fralins, but the MIM Strat had CTS pots! But the output jack, wiring, and electronics were kinda crappy. So I ordered a preloaded gold anodized pickguard from acmeguitarworks.com. Used a Switchcraft output jack, and voila! Killer-ass guitar!

• Members

I've ordered from 123 in the past and would do so again. I understand that many people have had problems due to the recent warehouse move, but I've heard many reports that things are back to normal.

My only complaint was that they took about 36 hours to ship my order. MF is usually much faster. OTOH, 123 has some slightly out-of-the-way items that MF doesn't carry. However, MF owns this website, and of course everyone who works for MF is extremely charming and has enormous genitals.

• Members

Originally posted by mattburnside

I've ordered from 123 in the past and would do so again. I understand that many people have had problems due to the recent warehouse move, but I've heard many reports that things are back to normal.

My only complaint was that they took about 36 hours to ship my order. MF is usually much faster. OTOH, 123 has some slightly out-of-the-way items that MF doesn't carry. However, MF owns this website, and of course everyone who works for MF is extremely charming and has enormous genitals.

Can't comment on the quality of genitalia but I just placed my first order with M123.

The item arrived factory sealed (Pod XT Live), which hasn't always been the case with our large donged community owners in my experience, as promised and they even worked with me painlessly on price without my having to provide the SSN of my third born to make it happen.

All in all, a nice experience and I'll order again.

The warehouse move has been a problem from other reports though.

• Members

After seeing this thread i felt forced to reply about my recent experience with them. I Had ordered a acoustic with strap and case. When the strap arrived today without uitar and case i was pussled. Called them up and said the guitar and case wont ship out for another month because they were at the old warehouse. So i decide to get my money back and go to the local store enough i wont get the same discount. So that was my rant.

peace, Pedro

• Members

My one experience with them, buying and returning a pedal went well.

Sounds like their operations team sucks. There's no way in hell they would have the problems they're having moving warehouses if they knew what in the hell they were doing. Someone who knew what they were doing (like me for instance) would have drawn up a game plan that would have made the warehouse move almost invisible to the consumer.

• Members

Well.. my first order with them (G-major, EB vol pedal, some accessories) was not a problem at all, everything went smoothly.

My second order (FBV bag, picks, accessories) however was frickin' crap. I got a price match, but it didn't show so they had to do a recredit a couple of times. Also I got sent the wrong bag (not my fault, admin error), so after working it out with them, I sent it back.

I got a cymbal instead. WTF? I had to re-work it out and sent it back, and at this time got charged for the bag again, and had to email them to get a credit card refund.

Oh yeah. This was before the warehouse move.. Ever since then... I've been very wary of them.

• Members

For such a big dealer they should be decent but the truth is they {censored}ing suck and are complete idiots.

I've ordered several times (usually only because MF wouldn't do a price match for a non-advertised price). I shoulda learned my lesson but didn't.

I ordered a Jaguar HH from MF this morning. It will be here tomorrow, i live close enough to get it overnight. Sure I had to pay $60 more due to no price match but I'd rather pay it than deal with 123.

• Members

I ordered a Washburn Rarewood Acoustic guitar from them last year, as the others have stated, it took about 4 or 5 days to ship from the warehouse. The guitar was packed adequately and arrived in good shape. The billing was correct and I didn't have any problems. Guess I was just lucky.

• Members

I used to be really happy with them, but lately my last two orders they have totally hosed up. I can't really say anything positive about them lately. Very disappointed, and I'll probably switch my orders elsewhere. Buyer beware in my book...

AM

• Members

i recently had bad luck with music123.

usually order MF with good luck and get stuff in two days.

recently tried american musical and had good luck.

american musical shipped part of my stuff out of sparks, neveda so that might be pretty fast for west coast people.

• Members

Music 123 was the only online dealer that would give me a credit card, so I did buy from them once. A year or so ago I bought an Epiphone Galaxie 10 amp from them. Everything went well. Shipping took a bit longer than Musicians Friend. But MF ships from MO and M123 from FL, I believe.

However, with so many other online dealers (big and small), I see no purpose to buying from M123.

Archived