The mastering process is very important!

• Members

To put the cards straight out, I'm a newbie on recording/mixing/mastering but my learning curve is steep and my ears are sensitive!;) I just realised how extremely important the mastering phase is and how much it can improve the sound of a song! Mastering is equally important as mixing it seems like now that I have experimented and analyzed my results... I just found out that on two speaker systems the sound was about the same, a few differences but nothing much. But on a third system (that I personally think is one of the more clear/fair sounding systems) some background instruments were completely lost. I just couldn't hear the instruments that were very clear sounding in two other speaker systems! So in order to compensate I would have to do something with the amplitude of the tracks so the tracks would be audible on the final song.

What approach should I use? Should I use this "problem speaker system" as the reference for how to get a nice balanced sounding song or should I use all three speaker systems when I balance the mix?

• Members

You should use use all three speaker systems. Try using as many as possible and choose the kind of speakers your audience is likely to have. Studio monitors are great for the initial tracking, but after that you should master with a standard stereo, earbuds/head-phones, computer setup, and a car.

• Members

Originally posted by TonyCrazyMan

To put the cards straight out, I'm a newbie on recording/mixing/mastering but my learning curve is steep and my ears are sensitive!
;)
I just realised how extremely important the mastering phase is and how much it can improve the sound of a song! Mastering is equally important as mixing it seems like now that I have experimented and analyzed my results... I just found out that on two speaker systems the sound was about the same, a few differences but nothing much. But on a third system (that I personally think is one of the more clear/fair sounding systems) some background instruments were completely lost. I just couldn't hear the instruments that were very clear sounding in two other speaker systems! So in order to compensate I would have to do something with the amplitude of the tracks so the tracks would be audible on the final song.

What approach should I use? Should I use this "problem speaker system" as the reference for how to get a nice balanced sounding song or should I use all three speaker systems when I balance the mix?

1. Mixing is far more important than mastering.

2. Use the best speakers you can find, if you can't afford any monitoring solution.

• Members

Originally posted by the russ

1. Mixing is far more important than mastering.

2. Use the best speakers you can find, if you can't afford any monitoring solution.

1. Not necessarily. A good mix is a good mix is a good mix, but we all know some doofus who can't master it properly is going to make it sound like crap, therefore annulling your "good mix" as something that's a thing of the past.

2. I actually think it's more important that if you don't have proper monitors, that you grab yourself a set of "real world" speakers, not necessarily "the best sounding". Get a pair that average joe would use and do your work on there. Of course it's always ideal that you have several different pairs of monitors to capture that "real world" situation that average joe or million dollar moe would use.

• Members

Originally posted by geek_usa

1. Not necessarily. A good mix is a good mix is a good mix, but we all know some doofus who can't master it properly is going to make it sound like crap, therefore annulling your "good mix" as something that's a thing of the past.

but good mastering cannot make a {censored}ty mix ever sound good.

Originally posted by geek_usa

2. I actually think it's more important that if you don't have proper monitors, that you grab yourself a set of "real world" speakers, not necessarily "the best sounding". Get a pair that average joe would use and do your work on there. Of course it's always ideal that you have several different pairs of monitors to capture that "real world" situation that average joe or million dollar moe would use.

That's really what i meant. if you can't afford monitors, use a decent pair of stereo speakers. Your moms' got a pair of boston acoustic cabinet speakers from the 70's? Fantastic. Those'll do. Just don't mix on boomboxes and {censored}ty computer speakers if you can avoid it. That doesn't do anyone any favors. Checking the mix in the car is the epitome of the "real life joe" tactic.

• Members

The importance level of any step is dictated by the previous step - If everything is right on the money from the start (the arrangement of the song, instrumentation, mic selection, preamp selection, and on and on and on), even the greatest mastering rig/engineer will make very little impact on the overall sound.

And while I'm "somwhat" of a fan of switching speakers during mixing, I think having ONE trustworthy set that are worthy of the task is most important. If you *need* to check your mixes on several sets of speakers, you either need better speakers, a better room, more experiece, or a combination of the above.

The point is not to wait to fix things during the mastering phase - Problems that are attacked early are no longer problems.

• Members

Originally posted by the russ

but good mastering cannot make a {censored}ty mix ever sound good.

That's really what i meant. if you can't afford monitors, use a decent pair of stereo speakers. Your moms' got a pair of boston acoustic cabinet speakers from the 70's? Fantastic. Those'll do. Just don't mix on boomboxes and {censored}ty computer speakers if you can avoid it. That doesn't do anyone any favors. Checking the mix in the car is the epitome of the "real life joe" tactic.

This, I can agree with. :)

Archived