Drum tones Room or effect ?

• Members

hi,

I've been searching everywhere on the net for info on the recording and or mixing of the album "TEN" by Pearl Jam.

Specifically the drum sound on the song "EvenFlow".

I have a list of guys that are credited either engineering or mixing,

they have no personal sites and I can't find any interviews or notes from them.

-Adrian Moore

-Tim Palmer

-Don Gilmore (!)

-Dave Hillis

The drummer on that record Dave Krusen appears to be active but I can't find a website or address to write him with the question.

I'm dying to know if the drum's lively reverb sound on that song is organic or affectected afterwards. Its probably a combo of both.... of course.

But this song in particular,,, can anyone theorize, give facts, or lead me to any kind of interviews or notes about this album??

thanks

• Members

I would say it's a mix of overheads and verb mostly on the snare. the kick mic is pretty dry...

if i wanted to copy that sound i would close mic the kit with overheads. have a fair amount of compression on the snare, mix in the overheads till the level of the hats is to your liking and for that loose open hat sound. mix in the kick mic for attack and add verb to the snare to make it big..

• Members

Cool thanks-

our drummer, after loving the first 4 revisions of my work on our CD (thankfully at the duplicator now) has now decided that the drums were'n't =live = enough... whats annoying is that he and I talked about stuff ALOT while I was mixing. Sounds and bands we liked. My approach was a snappy live in the room righ-next-to-ya sort of drum sound. But he loves the Pearl Jam drums from that first record now. That almost sounds Arena rock to me but I think I'll find a happy medium. (but I love Pearl Jam too)

Archived