Tokai experts? step forth!

math2014

• Members

Hey all,

I know that i tired a lot of you with my MIA questions recently. As my search goes forward, i was suggested to go mahogany+2xhumbucker route for guitars.

Anyhow i heard awesome comments about Tokai LP series of guitars. What can you tell me about them? I am looking at LS65 LS70 and LS75. How do they compare with Epi LP std? With Gibson LP classic ,studio and std? I know that its a different beast than a MIA std, but i was also wondering how it compares with it, MIA strat HSS vs Tokai LP.

On another note, my options now include a Gibson SG std if i can get a correct price.

So.

1. MIA strat HSS

2. Gibson SG std (or special)

3. Tokai LP , LS-65/70/75.

Now the most important bit, i ve convinced a local shop to bring one in to try, since the guy at the till knew nothing about Tokai, he just told me that he ll be sent a MIJ model with stamped serial no on the back of the headstock, and that its a tiger-stripe looking color. Any ideas of what this is?

IIRC blackbelt was a Tokai expert.

Thanks again.

Yannis

• Members

Since the Tokais went up in prices a few years back, the LS65/70/75 are now LS75/80/85. They are comparable to production line Gibsons IMO.

The easiest way to identify the MIJ Tokai LP copies from the Korean ones is the headstock. The MIJ models have the Gibson-style headstock and the MIK ones a little nub between the "open book" shape. The only exception to this rule is the NLS models made for the US market. These have the same headstock as the MIK ones but they also have a shorter, blunt horn on the body. The MIJ ones with Gibson-style headstock have a Gibson-style horn as well.

• Members

Originally posted by math2014

So even the LS65-75 series is seriously good?

Yes. Just notice that the current LS-65 (former LS-60) has a three piece maple top which IMO looks ugly. Also worth a note is that back in the '80s LS-60 was one of the top end models so it gets kinda confusing. In any case, the three piece top is obvious in pics anyway.

Out of the pics you posted the first two are MIJ and the last one is indeed MIK. The MIJ Tokai NLS models can be identified by the blunt horn, like this:

nls659vh.jpg

• Members

cheers LAxu.

BTW i am told that UK models have the correct horn, but even the MIJ ones have the notch on the open book headstock. But the 2 screw truss cover and the stamped serial mean they are MIJ. I hope i am right on this one.

I just want a very good LP , (i already have a good SG ) so i hope the LS65-75 would cover me over the gibson equivalents.

Archived